Does SideSync use data from my phone's plan when connected to a PC?
mojoflash
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a shared data plan of 18G that usually runs out pretty quickly. When I use SideSync to access files & apps on my phone through my PC, I'm afraid I'm accruing data that will go toward my plan's limit. Is this accurate? Or does the app use whatever internet connection your PC has to perform?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does SideSync use data from my phone's plan when connected to a PC, or does it use the internet connection of the PC? I want to be sure I'm not running up my data by using SideSync.
Tidbits
Legend

As long as tethering isn't enabled you are fine.

If you are using on screen phone thing that uses the cable to show that stuff. If you don't have WiFi and using your phone for slacker it will eat data as your phone is using said data not side sync

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Does SideSync use data from my phone's plan when connected to a PC, or does it use the internet connection of the PC? I want to be sure I'm not running up my data by using SideSync.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I absolutely understand how important it is to keep an eye on your data. Lets look into this further, when you are using this are you connected to wifi or to the cellular data network?
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this

0 Likes
mojoflash
Enthusiast - Level 1

Cell network.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am with you so far and appreciate you letting me know which network you are using. Any service that would transfer files through a wireless data connection over the wireless network would pull from your plan data in order to do so. The amount of data used can vary depending on the type of files being transferred.

BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this

0 Likes
mojoflash
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, I wanna be sure you understand what I'm asking. If my phone is not using any form of internet connection and only on mobile data, and I have the phone hooked up to a computer that's using a regular Internet connection, which is being used to run sidesync...the phone's mobile data? Or the Internet connection the computer is using? As in, am I being charged data if I'm using Sidesync while hooked up to that computer? Or would it then be running off of the computer's Internet connection, in which case would mean no data charges (like it was a free hotspot)?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
shawna_miracle
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would assume that whichever device is " pulling " info is where the data is being used. For instance, if you are on the pc and you ask the ocean to pull info from the phone then my guess would be your using the pc's Internet. If you are using your phone and trying to pull stuff from the pc then my guess would be using the phones data.

I don't know what sidesync is, but I thought maybe this might help. If I'm completely lost and make no sense, I'm sorry & please forgive me.

Tidbits
Legend

Are you connecting through USB, WiFi, or Bluetooth? If you use any of those methods you are fine.

0 Likes
mojoflash
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm using a USB cable to connect my phone to my PC. I was hoping this would mean that my data is not being touched while I use apps on my phone. Does that make sense? Almost like I'm using my PC as a hotspot.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You will be fine unless you turn on USB tethering on your phone, but even then the act of syncing does not eat your data.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Second the above. SideSync works over USB. Nothing to worry about unless Tethering is enabled.

0 Likes