Do any current Android phones include a built-in FM tuner?
Briangeorgia
Enthusiast - Level 1

my my previous phone (Droid X) has one, which I use all the time. Getting ready to upgrade and would love to find phone that works with FM signals.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Do any current Android phones include a built-in FM tuner?
WesleyK
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Casio Commando 4G phone has one. It only works with the headphones plugged in however because it uses the headphone wire as an antenna.

I have to tell the full story though because I'm not 100% sure it's a "current" phone... I was told by Asurion that they couldn't replace my Commando when it broke so they gave me the Kyocera Brigadier. They told me that they couldn't get me another Commando 4G so that led me to believe they were being phased out (which was odd because the phone was just introduced a very short time previously).

Now, since then I know of 2 people who have got the phone as well as one other who sent one in for repair and when they couldn't fix the phone, they sent him a new replacement.

I'm assuming it is a phone that is on the Verizon product list in certain areas. That is my best guess from the information I was able to obtain.....

I hope this huge mess of mine above helps you at least a little. Smiley Happy

jameskuzman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Briangeorgia.

My Verizon HTC One M8 did not come with the FM tuner app installed, but the hardware for FM is certainly present in the device.

I did a Google search for "FM tuner app HTC One" and found the .apk file available for download. I then e-mailed it to myself and installed it directly to the phone. It works quite well (headphones must be plugged in for the app to work).

I'm not sure why Verizon opted not to include the FM tuner app. The cynic is me says it's to encourage the use of apps to listen to content (which requires data) but that may be an unfair assumption. It may just be that they feel over-the-air broadcasts are not "high tech" or relevant enough. Disclaimer: I work in the radio and television industry and still think OTA broadcasts have value and merit 🙂

My e-mail address is in my profile here on the forum. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll happily send you the file.

Jim

Briangeorgia
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks to you both! Looking forward to still having FM service after my next phone upgrade.

0 Likes