Difficulty receiving messages and making calls. LG Enact, KitKat Update
the_muteKi
Enthusiast - Level 1

After updating the LG Enact to KitKat (4.4.2), I've been having a lot of trouble making and receiving calls and texts. Calls are often silent and stay that way until I power-cycle the phone, and similarly I have trouble with text messages, which I often fail to receive for hours or have to try multiple times to send correctly. I've already tried a factory reset, which worked for a little while, but the problems have started again.

Considering I'm paying nearly $100 a month for this service, these outages are unacceptable. What can I do to get my phone working consistently?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
Re: Difficulty receiving messages and making calls. LG Enact, KitKat Update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's bring back the great service on the device, the_muteKi! Were the same apps restored on the device after the restart? Does this seem to happen most in specific areas?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Do another fdr unchecked auto restore.  Get a new free Sim card also

0 Likes
d_rail
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem.  Calls are silent, but they are completing.  I already sent an LG Enact back and received another.  The problem exists on the refurbished Enact, also.  I used the same Sim card, but received a new one with the refurbished phone.  So I will try the new Sim card, as tbo27's suggested.

This is a wild guess, but I think connecting to bluetooth on my car is causing the issue.  (And yes, bluetooth is disabled when trying to make and receive calls.)

the_muteKi
Enthusiast - Level 1

It might be an issue with a specific app; I've uninstalled any that I had which I don't explicitly need or use, though when I did my last factory restore the apps I had downloaded from google play were reinstalled.

The problem doesn't seem to occur in any specific places, and usually even when I have these issues I have at least a couple bars worth of service. Furthermore, rebooting the phone almost always causes these problems to stop, at least temporarily, no matter where I am.

0 Likes
d_rail
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes restart is the only fix I have found.

Can you provide any more assistance @YaleK_VZW?

d_rail
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did a factory reset and installed the new Sim card.  Now I'm testing to see if I can reproduce the problem by seeing if I can hear the phone ringing when I make calls.  I connected to the Bluetooth in my car and disconnected and still working.  Next, I will try updating/adding apps to see if any trigger the failure.

0 Likes
d_rail
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found one cause: xiialive [1], my Shoutcast music player.  Reproduce steps:

1. Connect to Bluetooth in Ford Escape (Microsoft Sync)

2. Start xiialive and play a station

3. Disconnect from car/bluetooth

4. Try to place a phone call - Can't hear anything.

I don't know if it is the app or the audio output switching that is causing the trouble.  I have had no problems with the app before and I have used it in my car on all Android devices I've owned.

[1] Internet Live Radio App | XiiaLive

0 Likes
yellolabs
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem, but it happens with no rhyme nor reason.  I have to remember to restart my phone at least once a day and sometimes twice.  Then it sends and receives calls for a while without issue, but I do forget and someone tries to call me, then silence on both ends.  I'd hate to do a factory reset and it not help after I've finally gotten the phone customized.  I'd like to figure out the cause first.  Thanks to all who have shared their problems with this.

0 Likes
d_rail
Enthusiast - Level 2

From my experience, a factory reset, a new sim card, and a new LG Enact do not fix the problem.

There a problem with the version of Android we have.  Unfortunately, Verizon and LG are unwilling to help us.

Verizon won't let me return the phone, because it has been more than 30 days.  They will let me replace the phone with another LG Enact, but not with another model.

LG wants me to send in my phone so they can test it out.  That seems pretty silly to me because they could easily pick one off the shelf and test it.  Or they can have the one I sent back to Verizon.  Also, I want a cell phone to use for the next 3 months.

I guess the next step is trying Android 5.0.  It is not available through settings, so I will try manually updating it.

0 Likes