Dialer crashes after KitKat
ltwall

Is anyone else seeing this?  Ever since upgrading to KitKat 4.4.2 on Droid Razr HD my dialer crashes after 4-8 seconds.  Open up dialer.... try to dial number.... dialer crashes to the homescreen, also it is 50/50 if recent calls will be listed or not.   The only reliable way to call a number is to create a contact and dial it that way.   It also makes it very difficult to call into an online meeting as I cannot keep the dialer up long enough to put in the meeting code.  I have tried several other dialers off the market and they crash also... but tend to last a little longer sometimes.  I have done 3 factory resets, and each time the problem comes back after about 2-3 hours.  I went to the Verizon store, they over-nighted me a new phone and the same thing happens on it also.  It also happens in safe mode.  Looking at my battery usage Android core apps is using about 30% (user dictionary, contacts, contact storage).  I have turned off the dictionary and stopped all contact syncing.  still happens.  Looking in running apps, Qualcomm, contacts, sound, and a number of apps are listed as "restarting" after it happens. I have removed all nonessential programs.  Anyone?  It can't just be me.. after all it is happening not only on my original but also my replacement phone.

Very frustrating... what good is phone you cannot dial?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Dialer crashes after KitKat
stef7
Master - Level 2

Try going to Settings | Applications manager, scroll to the right till you see the All tab, then scroll down till you see the dialer. Select it. Do a Force Stop. Clear cache. Reboot your phone.

Does the dialer work after doing this?

How many contacts do you have? Maybe you have too many?

0 Likes
ltwall

No, that doesn't do anything.  I really find it hard to believe that this is just me.... It has now happend on two phones.

this is very frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ltwall, thanks for trying the suggestion up above. I want to make sure that we are able to get you back up and running with no issues. Can you please power the device off all the way and then remove the sim card: http://vz.to/19yE5pf for a good 10-15 seconds and then place the sim card back into the phone. Then re-try. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ltwall

didn't work. Still crashes after about 4-6 seconds.

0 Likes
ltwall

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Itwall, thanks for trying all of these steps. Do you have any kind of physical or liquid damage to the device? How long have you had this device for? I would like to see what other options we might have. Can you please accept my request to follow you. Then request to follow me back. Once we are following each other you will be able to send me a Direct Message http://vz.to/1fbIKzK. I hope to hear from you soon.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ltwall

no physical or water damage that I know of.... this happened with my original device, went to the Verizon store and they had another device shipped to me and it is doing the exact same thing... so don't think it is a physical problem.  happens in safe mode also.

Jeff

0 Likes
ltwall

just followed you BTW...thanks

0 Likes
ltwall

Hi Kevin, still there?  I am about ready to chuck my phone.

0 Likes