Date/time display on lock screen
FBOTSC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just had an auto update done to my android (Samsung J320V). Prior to the update, the time and date were displayed on the screen before I swiped to unlock the phone. It was in normal format (11:28, as an example). Since the update the format has been changed and I can't find a way to retrieve the old format. This new format displays the hour (11) on one line, and the minutes underneath it (28); and finally the date underneath that.

My husband has the same phone, but this update did not change the format of the time like mine did.

How do I get back the old format?? It cannot be changed under date/time settings, as that only affects the time that is displayed in my notifications.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Date/time display on lock screen
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

See How can I change my lock screen clock display back to single line?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

settings/lock screen/clock

settings/privacy

0 Likes
FBOTSC
Enthusiast - Level 2

On these phones Samsumg J320V, under Settings, there is a lock screen & security option (not just lock screen), and under that option, there is no "clock" option.

I managed to get a hold of a Verizon customer service agent via FB Msg, and was told there is no way to undo the change, as it was part of the update. However, he has NOT responded to me about why my husband, who has the exact same phone and got the same update, did not have his time display affected. Will post what he tells me, if and when, he responds. 

0 Likes
FBOTSC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update to last post - after further 'dialog' with Verizon, they said there is nothing they can do about the time format change in the last update, so who ever doesn't like it will have to contact Samsung. I guess that means they're essentially telling their customers - "not my problem" since they only provide the service and not the actual phone/updates (even though they promote their customers to buy the phone). How nice!

0 Likes
FBOTSC
Enthusiast - Level 2

After all the replies, the bottom line is that there is no ability to change the time display on the lock screen for the J series phones. They (Samsung) have it for newer models, though.

Samsung told me that there are many complaints about this, and hopefully (yeah, haha) there will be another update to allow changes. They have no answer about why it would change back as in the case of GUNNIBRONCO1; nor, do they have an explanation about why my husband's phone never changed format - other than to say my husband's phone didn't update properly - and to take it to a Samsung Best Buy location to correct the update malfunction. Yeah, that is NOT going to happen.

0 Likes
PIKEDROP

So here is what I went through this morning for 5 hours. I called Verizon support to inform them about the blatant problem of the abhorrent attempt by some ​[removed] (at Google) to reconfigure the time display to a convoluted method (the hour is stacked on top of the minute(s)!) whereby we can't tell what time it is anymore on the lock screen! They spent about 2 hours searching through my phone to find a way to change the format to no avail. The Verizon tech finally said that the problem is being caused by Samsung and she gave me Samsung's technical support number.  I called them and spent the better part of 2 hours attempting the same thing. The Samsung tech finally said that the problem is caused by the Google update (why on God's green earth would Samsung depend on Google to provide software is beyond me!). She gave me Google's phone number. I spent another 30 minutes on the phone with Google and they told me that the problem was with Samsung! The Google tech said that he would call Samsung and describe the problem in detail to them before he passed my call to Samsung. When the Samsung tech comes on the line he says 'I understand that you have a concern with about the security settings! I knew right then and there that the Google tech did not want to discuss the real issue with Samsung and just wanted to get out Dodge as quick as he could! So the Samsung tech tells me it is an issue with Google and that he would discuss the matter with his superiors. Yea, fat chance of that happening!

So, no one knows who is responsible for this castrophy! Samsung, Verizon, and Google are pointing fingers at each other! Mother to God, isn't there any management left in this world!?

I have learned an important lesson from this: 1) Ask if Google is responsible for software and updates on the cell phone that you are interested in buying. Because they are clearly not going to own up to any blunders. DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG ANYMORE!

I hope that others ready my post that your Samsung phone can be rendered useless for telling time on the lock screen because Google has morons working for them

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Hopefully Samsung will provide an update in the future to the J3 to allow for directly adjusting the lock screen clock size/options since many users have requested it. As reported even with the latest software some users still have their lock screen clock displaying on one line. This would be due to the specific settings/configuration on the individual devices themselves however.

With the newer software version the lock screen parameters are affected differently by the specific settings and configurations used by the individual device user, and in your case, squeezing the available width space for the clock based on its font sizing. If you match your device configuration and settings exactly to your husbands for example you’d still have the one line clock display on your lock screen also. While I don’t own that particular model to test the differences myself, some of the common things you can change on your device that do affect the lock screen display  could return your current clock back to the way you prefer are-

1) Device Themes (different designs & options with those), 2) Device Mode (Easy/Standard), 3) Display Mode (Amoled/Basic), 3) Launcher Settings, 4) Font Size settings In Accessibility Options, and 5) Lock Type (Pin/Pattern/Fingerprint/Swipe/Password/Smart Lock) to name a few.

Having the devices in question looked at by an actual Samsung trained employee like Best Buy would be a good idea as they manufature the hardware and develop and update the software for your device. Contacting a carrier like Verizon about an issue like that wouldn’t be the most effective way to find a resolution for things like that. For network/coverage/billing situations or the apps/websites they develop however Verizon could always help as that’s what they have control over.

0 Likes
PIKEDROP

So there isn't anything new that I already knew.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 9:22 AM, deloused <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
PIKEDROP

By the way, none of your suggestions cure the problem.

0 Likes