Data usage / hoggers
nathans77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is the datacollectionprovider causing data hogging notifications through Onavo Count? What does it do?

Before https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtzpm8ofvqvk6ty/2012-11-14%2010.30.27.png

After https://www.dropbox.com/s/xl0cvqah7g9n8d2/2012-11-14%2015.53.08.png

Currently Onavo shows these data hoggers:

Motorola Apps, FMRadioService, and DockComm have 227MB used so far, and DataCollectionProvider (which always causes the Onavo alert to go off) has 202MB used so far. My cycle reset on the 13th and I'm already up to 15% of my data. Why do those keep eating up my data?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data usage / hoggers
nathans77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so under System Settings > Privacy, there is an option called "Back up my data", aka background data. It does serve a good purpose, but eating 1GB of my 4GB data plan wasn't going to happen. Plus, if things go south, I'd reset it all up again, no big deal.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bluesamg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Because they run in the background.

0 Likes
nathans77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do they have to use sooo much data though? The only app that uses a bunch of data (to me) is Dropbox, and it's at 50mb. Is the last image link, that app used 72ish mb and now it's over 231mb, in one week. So whatever that app is doing, it'd use about 1gb of my data.

0 Likes
Not applicable

turn off background data.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Or push that restrict to Wi-Fi button.

0 Likes
nathans77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Brian68 - Wouldn't turning off background data stop sms, email, and apps from working?

demmo86rt - I've actually tried that, but for some reason it seems to undo it everytime.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

nathans77 wrote:

Brian68 - Wouldn't turning off background data stop sms, email, and apps from working?

no

0 Likes
Not applicable

nathans77 wrote:

If you use an app that needs to use background data you can enable background data to use that app then turn background data off again when you're done. I still think that auto-updating apps are probably a more likely reason for higher usage.

nathans77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so under System Settings > Privacy, there is an option called "Back up my data", aka background data. It does serve a good purpose, but eating 1GB of my 4GB data plan wasn't going to happen. Plus, if things go south, I'd reset it all up again, no big deal.

0 Likes