Data speeds slowed recently
dsmiller11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently, my data speeds have slowed to a crawl. I'm in a location at work where I've always had solid speeds. Nothing seems to have changed, but now whenever I even try to stream audio it stutters and buffers and is generally unbearable. Even sending messages through Google Hangouts seems to hang, which is...alarming. I can't even get a speedtest off. The one time it didn't time out, I got < 0.5 Mbps down and similar speeds up. Mind you this is in a location where, with the same device, I typically get 3 out of 5 bars of 4G. Those kinds of speeds are what I'd expect in 1 bar of 3G.

Speaking of 3G, I've also seen my network toggle to 3G more frequently now, if that's worth mentioning. This is in the same area where I'd get a steady 2-3 bars of 4G and rarely dip into 3G.

This has also seemed to put an extra drain on my battery. When checking the usage this morning, the mediaserver was the guilty app, but that could have been because my phone was struggling to stream iHeartRadio due to the slow data speeds. Regardless of the guilty party, the battery life has taken a hit.

I'm trying to hold off on the factory reset as long as possible. But I'm at the point where that's the next step

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data speeds slowed recently
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dsmiller11 let get things moving! Fill us in on the details and we'll get right to work! What device make/model do you have? What zip code are you located in?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dsmiller11
Enthusiast - Level 2

HTC One M8. The zip where I've noticed issues is 21921, I usually have it on WiFi at home, and haven't noticed issues there. So I really only have the performance benchmark at 21921.

0 Likes
dsmiller11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon Wireless Customer Support I'd like some support regarding this issue. It has not gone away and I've done everything I can on my end. I've pulled the SIM card, I did a factory reset and things are still slow. Even sending text messages can take a while. I've clocked the actual sending of a basic SMS message at over 1 minute.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate these details dsmiller11! When exactly did this start happening? Please try clearing message threads, and clear device memory. http://vz.to/1xO5nFT Then restart phone and see if this helps device performance.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dsmiller11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon Wireless Customer Support this did not help. This began happening around August 30th I believe.

0 Likes
tylerw1285
Contributor - Level 1

what kind of phone do you have? ever go into 1x? or can text and call but cant send sms or use internet at all sometimes and then goes back to 4glte? what phone and android update you on 4.4.3?

0 Likes
dsmiller11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the HTC one M8. The issue is when it's in 4G, there's good service at my work, and it only occasionally slips into 3G, and never 1x at my desk. The issues are when in full service outside of WiFI. There is even hanging on sending texts. It's still on 4.4.2.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

If it works well in other parts of town... Probably a tower issue. Ever if you have 4G that doesn't mean you should get fast speeds... depends on how the tower is working and it's connectivity to their network.

0 Likes
dsmiller11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah I've thought that too, but it's not just in one location like I had originally thought (hoped). It's everywhere and in all mobile data connection scenarios, whether it's full service 4G or barely 3G, my data is crawling. The only times where using my data is even bearable is when connected to WiFi.

Though, that still doesn't touch the issue with delay (& duplication) of sent text messages.

0 Likes