Re: Data Usage Doubled
brighteyes610
Enthusiast - Level 3

no its not your apps..verizon is ripping us off.my phone is 95% of the time connected to wifi where I stay and it is still using data.im really pi.....about it.i never in 2 years went over the 2gb.all od a sudden I updated my old s3 and thats when the data ripoff started.my cycle ends the 25th and i am already at my limit.that update messed up my phone.i have a s4 now and its even worse.verizon needs to stop the bs before they lose alot of business.and they always pass the buck or say something stupid like"did it get dropped or get wet".fyi..if you are using their caller id for 2.99..you are being scammed out of data that way also because it doesnt work on wifi.therefor its constantly using your data.its always running.always notifying you and saving the names to your phone whether you want it to or not.and erases all the calls whenever it feels like it.there is no app for it either.cant do anything but check area code.useless.you can do that for free.yeah..im over verizon..

0 Likes
brighteyes610
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was suggested to call the fcc and other such agencies.and to get it investigated the BBB.I HAVE TO CALL THEM AGAIN ABOUT THIS ISSUE AND SEE WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO.I PLAN ON TAKING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL MYSELF.WAS BSED BEFORE I UPGRADED ALSO.TELLING ME THAT MY BILL WOULD ONLY BE 60/MTH AND 1GB OF PROMOTIONAL DATA.THAT WAS TOTAL BS.MY BILL STILL REMAINS AT 100+A MONTH.1 LINE.JUST ME.3GBS?? AND EVERYTIME I TURN AROUND THE BILL AND BREAKDOWN LOOKS DIFFERENT OR HARD TO UNDERSTAND THE WAY THEY LINE UP NUMBERS.WHATEVER.im going to keep talking about it until someone does something about it.check your community verizon.its a big problem...

0 Likes
brighteyes610
Enthusiast - Level 3

thats funny..read the long one I posted earlier and then read what she wrote.what a joke.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

If your phone got the new OS then you also got the new set of Bloatware that Verizon wants you to have on your phone. You should go in and disable any of the apps on the phone that you do NOT use. Also stay away from Verizon Cloud as well as Verizon Backup Assistant as they can be data hogs as they get stuck in a loop trying to sync and never do.

Some apps to disable are the following unless you use them.

You will want to disable apps like these (if you do NOT use them)

Amazon Kindle

Amazon MP3

Backup Assistant (any version)

V Cast Apps

Facebook (unless you use it)

Google Play Books

Google Play Movies

Google Play Music

Google +

MOG Music

My Verizon Mobile

Netflix

NFL Mobile

QuickOffice

Slacker Radio

Slingbox

Smart Actions (this app does nothing to help you save battery and actually uses more battery as it is another app to automate doing things on the phone so while you are not doing the thing ont he phone, th eapp is so battery is always running harder then it should)

Swype

Verizon Video

VZ Navigator

brighteyes610
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have all of that disabled already except netflix.i even took their caller id that you pay 2.99 for.i found out that it only runs on their DATA . DOES NOT WORK ON WIFI AT ALL.I HAD UPGRADED MY OLD S3 WITH THAT UPDATE.SINCE THEN I HAVE A NEW PHONE*S4*.THE DATA IS EVEN WORSE ON THIS ONE.AND ALOT OF BS I CANT GET RID OF.I WAS LOOKING ON MY BILL . DATA IS RUNNING EVEN WHEN IM CONNECTES TO THE WIFI.I HAVE BEEN TURNING MY MOBILE DATA OFF.THERE IS SO MUCH JUNK ON THIS PHONE.AND I DO NOT KNOW WHATS WHAT.LIKE THAT KNOX.CAN YOU POST ATTACHMENTS ON HERE? SO I CAN SEND A SCREENSHOT AND MAYBE YOU CAN SEE WHATS SAFE TO TAKE OFF? I TURN STUFF OFF ALL THE TIME IN THE APPLICATION MANAGER BUT ALOT OF THE STUFF SEEMS TO TURN ITSELF BACK ON..THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

If you send a list of the other apps on the phone (each manufacturer loads their own Bloat) I can give you some ideas on what can be disabled safely.  also if an app will not allow you to disable it, you need to uninstall any updates first and then you should be able to disable it. The only ones you would not be able to disable are certain Verizon apps where they hide the Disable functionality.  some of those though you can disable the service that runs them

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

brighteyes610, stealing from our customers is not how we do business. We've implemented better plans to better fit your needs. Let's analyze your usage together here http://vz.to/QJQWOV and ensure that you're on the right plan: http://vz.to/1lwOwRQ

The caller ID feature is included in your plan at no additional cost. We apologize for any confusion this matter may have caused you. However, our Caller ID does not use your data allowance. I hope that this information is helpful to you. Did you download a 3rd party caller ID feature to your device?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

brighteyes I would agree that the data usage is not something designed to make your Data usage extremely high. Each app that is written is written in a vacuum where they feel it is the only app you will run on the phone, and if it needs to phone home to get updates the data usage will be small. Now multiply that by 20 and you have significant usage.  The other problem is, certain apps such as Backup Assistant and or cloud have this wonderful retry process built into it so if it fails to sync at the specified times, it will keep trying until the sync is complete. I have watched it run for 3 and 4 days trying. That is one of the reasons I do NOT use Backup Assistant or VZW Cloud as they are written very poorly for my specific needs. That said, when they are writing something to work on multiple devices they sometimes need to compromise on quality to get it to work marginally for the rest.  Then you have your outside apps. Facebook is a data killer as are streaming or. I do not think it is intentional on VZW's part that some of the apps are data hogs.

0 Likes
brighteyes610
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks for the feedback.i was on a conference call with samsung and verizon about this problem and all the preinstalled garbage that was on my device and all that came with the forced update.most of which turns itself on even when you force close.will not be purchasing another android device from Samsung. on top of all of that. .they suspended my service for 50 owed and I paid it before 9pm and was told it would be on within an hour.its 430 am and no service.cant even use my gv to make or recieve calls.im fed up suspend /reconnect at my verizon is useless too.what bs

0 Likes
brighteyes610
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do not have facebook on phone. .

0 Likes