Data Caps Bad Idea
daveshouse1001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got the Droid MAxx and now I am off the unlimited plan. I know that they were throttling my speed while on that plan because I wasn't nearly using as much data as I am now. I used half a gig in TWO DAYS doing what I would normally do. I signed up for google play unlimited so that I can legally stream music and it's eating data now more than ever. So what now? I guess I'll have to find a way to store music locally on my phone so that I don't stream and eat up data. And now that I have unlimited talk you better believe that I will milk it for all that it's worth. I stopped using my landline and made this my only phone. I was happier with my other plan. Why did they have to go and fix what wasn't broken?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data Caps Bad Idea
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could have paid full price for the phone and kept the unlimited data plan. There are settings in the Google Music to restrict the quality of the streaming music to reduce data usage. You can pin your music to the phone for local access to the music you own in Google Music.

If you had a 4G phone prior, they weren't throttling your data usage. You can also adjust your applications to restrict background data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
daveshouse1001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on the edge plan so I did pay full price technically, and why would I want to restrict the quality? And yes you're right about caching the music to play offline. I even believed then that they were throttling my usage. Many other were complaining of the same thing

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why did you choose the Edge program? This probably also forced you into the Share Everything Plan, which as an existing customer you weren't required to do. You could have kept the Nationwide plan and got an individual tiered data plan.

If you had chosen the Device Payment Plan (not Edge), you would still be paying full price and keeping the unlimited data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
daveshouse1001
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Individual plan would have cost us more money as you get more data allowance with the edge plan. I pay the price for 6 GB as would have cost me for 2 under the contract plan.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You went with the Max data plan and kept your Nationwide voice plan? That's the only way to get that 6 GB plan for $30 per month.

0 Likes
daveshouse1001
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The name of that 6 GB plan is called the "Max" data plan and it is used to entice unlimited data plan customers to use the Edge program. I got one of those advertising emails and for me the Edge program isn't worth it.

0 Likes
daveshouse1001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Or maybe I can just pay off the rest of the balance for this phone and move to another carrier that offers unlimited data.

0 Likes
Data Caps Bad Idea
daveshouse1001
Enthusiast - Level 2

and you might say that they weren't throttling my speed but I just find it interesting that once I started the tiered plan my bandwidth just magically increased exponentially and I started consuming over 3X the amount of data as before.

0 Likes