DROID proximity sensor problem/question
cdnyc81

Every so often my proximity sensor doesn't work.  Most of the time it works as it should--waking up the screen when I take the phone away from my ear during a call.  However, about 20% of the time, it doesn't wake up the screen when I take the phone away from my ear during a call.  I can't find any consistent patterns to these occurences.  And I'm sure it's not an issue of the way I'm holding the phone or anything like that.

Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: DROID proximity sensor problem/question
Not applicable

Not sure best I can say is just call Verizon see if they know of an issue or have a fix to it.Mine works fine though with no problems (knock on wood) lol

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

try changing your screen timeout. the phones calls that i have had less than 30 sec, i notice the screen wakes up after i pull it away from my face.  the longer ones i have to click the power button.

change your timeout to 2 or even 5 minutes.

or...

you could pull it away from your face every 15 sec. kidding

try the timeout thing

menu>settings>sounds&display>screen timeout

0 Likes
tinlizzy

Check with the stores in your area for upcoming classes. For different devices.Verizon Wireless is big on education and does offer classes in some locations for high tech advanced devices.  Not all wireless users (like myself) are IT savvy so to speak. It is truly a learning experience for all. Also, keep in mind they provide online tutorials as well as simulators/emulators for all equipment and devices which will guide and walk you through troubleshooting.

0 Likes
DR01D-NX-74R

I just started having this problem, too.  Every so often it won't wake up when I move it away from my ear.  But in my case, I dropped my phone a few days ago.  Just a small knick on one of the edges as far as visible physical damage.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  By chance did you also drop your phone?

0 Likes
cdnyc81

Thanks for the helpful feedback.  I'm giving a shot to 1 minute screen timeout.  Definitely haven't dropped the phone by the way...

Can anyone confirm that they use 30 second screen timeout and have never had this wake-up issue?  If so, perhaps I should just switch it in for another phone.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

cdnyc81 wrote:

Thanks for the helpful feedback.  I'm giving a shot to 1 minute screen timeout.  Definitely haven't dropped the phone by the way...

Can anyone confirm that they use 30 second screen timeout and have never had this wake-up issue?  If so, perhaps I should just switch it in for another phone.

its really your money.  if you are unhappy with it for any small thing, turn it in.

i had issues with my first one and the "No Green Lines" while taking a picture.  my money, my decision. so i exchanged it and i have had no issues since then.

0 Likes
daretoomnia
Contributor - Level 1

willanaya wrote:

try changing your screen timeout. the phones calls that i have had less than 30 sec, i notice the screen wakes up after i pull it away from my face.  the longer ones i have to click the power button.

change your timeout to 2 or even 5 minutes.

or...

you could pull it away from your face every 15 sec. kidding

try the timeout thing

menu>settings>sounds&display>screen timeout

Tried that...even tried setting it to "never" timeout....but was just on a call, wanted to put it on speakerphone, pulled the phone away from my ear....screen never came back on....:smileysad:

Anyone had the 2.0.1 update yet? have you noticed if they have fixed this problem with this update? still waiting to get my update notification.....

...or....anyone found/heard if there is a way to just turn off the proximity sensor altogether until they fix this glitch?

Thanks!

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

It is not a glitch, as I was told by Motorola Tech, that when on a call for longer than your timeout, the screen timeout kicks in.  When you pull the phone away from your face you have to press the power/lock button to return the display.  If after pressing the power/lock button you still do not have a display, then I would return the device for another one. I was on the phone with Motorola tech and my phone was not doing anything when I pressed the power/lock button, so he advised me to exchange the device as several have reported faulty proximity sensor's.

0 Likes
daretoomnia
Contributor - Level 1

AFguy wrote:

It is not a glitch, as I was told by Motorola Tech, that when on a call for longer than your timeout, the screen timeout kicks in.  When you pull the phone away from your face you have to press the power/lock button to return the display.  If after pressing the power/lock button you still do not have a display, then I would return the device for another one. I was on the phone with Motorola tech and my phone was not doing anything when I pressed the power/lock button, so he advised me to exchange the device as several have reported faulty proximity sensor's.

But I have my phone set to "never" on the timeout, so that's why I am thinking this is some kind of software issue maybe?  Also, with having my phone set to never timeout, this is not an "everytime" occurance...sometimes the screen comes back on, sometimes it does not....

On the times it does not come back on, I have looked to make sure none of my fingers were near the proximity sensor, etc, so I'm left with believing this is a "glitch" that needs to be addressed.....

0 Likes