DNA Faint Ringing Solution
Izeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know the faint ringing problem with the DNA can be very frustrating and although Verizon support staff are usually very helpful, most of the solutions they have offered have not resolved this problem. I did speak with one exceptionally knowledgeable Verizon agent that did help me find a solution. I haven't had the faint ringing occur in over six weeks now (the longest span since I bought the phone over a year ago), so as far as I can tell this is a fix and if it happens again I will retract my resolution.

Okay, so when the ringing occurs, don't make it stop. Instead we need to find the culprit; there is a reason why the ringing happens.

While the ringing is happening, open the apps  icon, open the menu, then select "manage apps". Select "running" from the "manage apps" page, then pay attention to the timer to the right of the apps that are running. You will find one app started running around the time that the faint ringing occurred. I did this twice and both times it was the Facebook app that began running at the time the ringing started. Now we know the cause and can find the cure, we must disable the app.

From the "manage apps" screen select "All" and then select the app that began running when the ringing started. You can now disable the app. (This is also where you can disable all the junk apps you can't delete so they no longer run or update). You may want to clear the cache, data, and uninstall any updates for the useless apps while you are here.

Enjoy!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It would have been a lot more helpful to add this solution to the thread that was already in existence for this issue.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/791345

Izeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are welcome!

And I did add this solution to an existing thread, but it seemed no one could find it amid all the comments that weren't helpful. It seemed making a new thread with "solution" in the title might be more helpful than trying to be heard in that forum.

0 Likes
Izeek
Enthusiast - Level 2
Well this is frustrating! The night after I post this my phone acts up again at 5:30 this morning. I went to see what was running and it was a HTC service that monitors the state of the phone. I will call tech support and see if the screen shots I took will help to get the software developers working on a fix. Sorry to have to report the problem continues.
0 Likes
Re: DNA Faint Ringing Solution
Izeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent about two hours on the phone and emailing tech support with Verizon and HTC yesterday, trying to pass along what seemed to be a good indicator of what the problem is. Tech support staff from both companies tried getting me to try the typical troubleshooting steps to try and find a fix for their problem, things mentioned in forums that never resolved the issue. I was very clear with them that I had no desire to dumb down my phone or waste my time when it seems clear to everyone experiencing this problem that the problem is with the HTC software. I simply wanted to pass along the screenshots that reveals how it is Auto Setting Service of the HTC Services app that began running at the time the phone began the troublesome ringing. I have attached those screenshots.

When I thought the Facebook app was the culprit, I did see this app running with the same time-stamp, but didn't think it was the problem after hearing from tech support for so long that it was likely some app. I have found this HTC app running at other times, when the ringing does not occur. From the steps Verizon has told me in finding a troublesome app, it seems clear that this HTC app is the problem; now whether they will admit it and fix the problem remains to be seen.

I would suggest that everyone having this problem contact HTC instead of Verizon, after all it is their product, Verizon doesn't write the software. To do so, follow the link below and select the "open ticket" icon. If sending in screenshots of the app that began running when the glitch occurs can provide HTC some direction, then hopefully they can get us a software update that will finally fix this problem. If this doesn't get resolved, I will have to think twice about sticking with HTC when I upgrade next time.

https://support.htc.com/en-us/

2013-08-24_05-35-04.png

2013-08-24_05-35-32.png

0 Likes
Re: DNA Faint Ringing Solution
ASA12
Enthusiast - Level 3

Both my wife and I have the DNA ringing problem as well.  Here is my newest experience with the issue.  both the wife and rarely had the until recently and it has increased on my phone since these two things happend.  Did the update that added the talk back feature. Since then, my phone is now ringing 1-2 times a day.  I also got a new sim card and there is no change.   maybe 4.3 will resolve the issue?

0 Likes