Contract up in January - need opinions
CrazyEddie

Hello, like so many people I'm already trying to decide which Android phone to get for me and my wife. Our contract is up in January. The problem is with LTE supposedly out by the end of the year where I live, coupled with the fact of new phones emerging monthly - the question is should I wait for a LTE phone, or even a newer phone, or do you think the current lineup will still be worth it for another 2 year contract renewal? If I were to buy today we'd get a Droid 2, mainly for the slider keyboard as a reference. I think I'd pull the trigger also if there were a 2 for 1 deal (for the Droid 2) like they just did for the Fascinate. Just looking for opinions or any insight the community may have.

Thanks a lot!

Ed

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Contract up in January - need opinions
budone
Legend

Verizon is supposedly having a presentation right now concerning the LTE rollout.

0 Likes
CrazyEddie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101006/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_verizon_wireless4g

So apparently LTE will be utilized for businesses and Internet connections first, then phones later in the year. Makes sense. A one year contract seems a little pricey for me in order to jump aboard LTE when it becomes available for phones. So I guess that leaves me with a decision based on newer phones coming out in the near future. I've seen some of the new entry level phones coming out shortly but nothing that really competes with the Droid 2 or phones in the current lineup. I've heard rumors of a dual core phone possibly coming at the end of the year, but that's just a rumor.

So unless someone knows of a newer phone coming out in the next few months that has some competitive features to the exisiting lineup, we'll probably go with a Droid 2.

Thanks!

Ed

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
hmmm its hard... when will tiered data plans be available.... maybe when 4g rolls out in a few months. I rather upgrade now and grandfather unlimited data.
0 Likes
CrazyEddie

That's an excellent point regarding grandfathering in the data plan. Thanks!

Ed

0 Likes
CrazyEddie

Also it looks like Verizon is doing a 2 for 1 on the HTC Incredible. How about the Droid 2 please and I'm in :smileyhappy:.

Oh, and it does look like LTE smartphones will be available 1st quarter, along with the iPhone making an appearence in a new form factor - which hopefully means more competitive deals on the way.

Ed

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

The devices like the Motorola Droid 2, Droid X, and the HTC Droid Incredible are great devices, and are relatively young in terms of smartphones. 

Copy and paste the link below into the address field of your browser for information about  4G coverage. 

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Network/ct-p/4GNetwork

0 Likes