Commando wifi issues
tbarney

I've finally decided to post this here and see if I have company...

G'zOne Commando with latest update (10/23/12).

For quite some time, I've noticed that connecting to wifi on this phone seems flaky.

Most of the time, when I turn on wifi, it just sits on "turning on" forever and never shows the wifi symbol on the status line.  Today it connected to my router, but the signal bars never went white, and I never got an Internet connection. It WAS connected internally, because I could reach some devices on my home network. (For example, I have a Sonos music system, and I could connect to the player and browse my music files on my PC, but it would not connect to any Internet streaming services. However, I could get to them fine via my laptop, so the issue was definitely with my phone.)

I have found that if I power cycle the phone, when it starts back up, I can connect to wifi right away with no issues.  But after I turn it back off and go for a while, when I try to connect to wifi again, it get the same "turning on" issue, or it connects internally but does not get to the Internet.

I have tried resetting my router and my cable modem while having this problem, but that doesn't resolve the phone issue.  The only thing that does it is to power cycle the phone.

I don't like this as a work-around. Usually, when I need the wifi, it's because I'm trying to connect to something on my network and use my phone as an interface or controller. The delay in realizing I'm not connecting, powering down, powering back up again, waiting for my apps to load from the SD card...it's quite a long time.

Was hoping the latest update would address this issue, but it actually seems a little worse today.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Commando wifi issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jbaum75 - Has your service experience improved since you originally posted? Sometimes, some of the phones may hang up a bit while the hot spot is turning on, but if you go back to your home screen, and pull down your notification window, the hot spot should be active. We recommend clearing the hot spot's cache and data, and then restarting the app. You will have to enter in your network password information after clearing this info. Let us know if you have still require assistance, we're here to help. Thank you and take care everyone.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
jbaum75
Enthusiast - Level 2

To my knowledge, there is no way to clear the hot spot's cache and data.  If there is please provide instructions.  The 3g mobile hotspot on my phone is not an "app" per se.  When I navigate to manage apps, then to running, there is no app named mobile hotspot??  Furthermore there is no app in the "all apps" page named "mobile hotspot"??

Thanks for replying

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It wouldn't necessarily be under the "All Apps" drawer. Go to Settings > applications > manage applications > all tab and scroll down to see if there is a mobile hotspot application listed there. Select it and see if you have the option to clear the cache.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jbaum75
Enthusiast - Level 2

Navigating to all apps through the settings menu is what I did and there was no hotspot application listed.  Not sure how to clear cache at this point.

0 Likes
jbuzz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had exactly the same issues with my commando ever since I have owned it.  Verizon tech tried and failed to diagnose with usual "do a factory reset" and "reboot your router" advice.  The wifi card and / or software on this phone is problematic to say the least.  I have considerable technical experience and I cannot get this phone to work reliably.

My initial fixes that at least got the wi-fi working was to use a static IP's for all my devices on the home network.  Still, the wi-fi on the phone periodically just stops working.  I say stops "working" versus stops "connecting" because the phone says it is "connected" to my wi-fi network yet no data passes and my router does not see the phone on the network.

Sometimes shutting down and restarting the phone will get it to actually connect the wi-fi.  Sometimes it does not.  And after a period of time (minutes to hours) the phone wi-fi just starts working.  No errors are logged on my router.

This is nothing but hardware / firmware / software issues on this phone.  There are numerous other complaints of issues with this phone and yet Verizon has provided no software or firmware updates to fix the issue.  Casio has locked the phone so it cannot be upgraded to a new Android build.  Given all the issues I would be perfectly willing to try a newer Android version on my own if they would allow me to.  There is absolutely no support for this device as it stands.

I can't wait to get rid of Verizon and this Commando when my contract is up.

0 Likes