Cloud sync is causing multiple instances of contacts
WCM2013
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have uploaded my contacts to Verizon Cloud, and this has caused some problems:

1. I have 900 actual contacts. These are synced between my Exchange and Gmail accounts (so each of them has 900 contacts).  My phone also has contact lists from Facebook, LinkedIn, Waze, Viber and a couple other "accounts" but I cannot do anything with these accounts - when I select them from the People app, the only options I get are to Sync or Delete.  The problem is that Cloud has synced over 2600 contacts. Is there a way to configure Cloud to only back up one of my contact accounts?
  2. If #1 is not possible, is there a global way to limit the contacts that my phone displays?  There is supposed to be a Contacts to Display selection within the People app, but that option does not show up in the menu on my phone.  I have tried to apply this filter in specific apps, but it doesn't always work.  For example, in my Phone app, when I tap the magnifying glass at the bottom right, the list I get is contacts in my gmail account (which is what I want), but if I type one letter (to start searching for a contact) the list becomes "All contacts with phone numbers" which shows each phone number multiple times.

Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cloud sync is causing multiple instances of contacts
WCM2013
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have deleted all contact accounts on my phone and left only my Google contacts.  That has solved most of my problem EXCEPT now Verizon Cloud contains 2700 contacts, which all show up whenever I do a contacts search on my phone.

How do I fix the contents of Verizon Cloud so that only my Google contacts remain?  I can't access Cloud on my PC - I get a spinning circle of bubbles.  I think I need to delete my Cloud account and start again.

Any Verizon employees view these forums??  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to make sure that you are able to access your contacts, WCM2013. This would have me just as concerned. You mentioned that your PC is not able to access VZ Cloud. Are you using the Desktop Application, or through your browser?

Have you tried to access the Cloud using IE, or Google Chrome, or FireFox? Does it spin through all?

NicandroN_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
WCM2013
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the response.  Verizon Cloud was down yesterday.  I learned that when I called tech support.  I find it odd that email/internet support didn't know that.

Anyway, that wasn't my question.  My question was "How do I fix the contents of Verizon Cloud so that only my Google contacts remain? "

Through a bunch of trial and error with Verizon phone tech support I learned the following (and my personal opinion is that Verizon Cloud is not ready for primetime):

1. The only way to delete contacts from the Verizon Cloud is to do it manually.  Even if you call tech support and they clear/wipe your Cloud account, your contacts will NOT be deleted,

2. If you have more than 1,000 contacts (which I did because Cloud tripled my contacts) they must be deleted in small groups.  If you select all, you will get a System Timeout error.  Once you have fewer that 1,000 you can select all of them and delete.

3. Cloud contacts are not actually synced with your phone, they are added.  I maintain contact lists in MS Exchange (work) and Google (personal), which I sync with each other and with my phone.  Any changes made to these contacts will be added to the Verizon Cloud, resulting in multiple records for the same person.

4. I was able to eliminate duplicate contacts on my phone by clearing out my Cloud account manually, then ensuring that ONLY one contact account (in my case, Google) syncs with the phone.  I then downloaded Contacts+, a third-party app, and merged all duplicates.

The phone rep said that Verizon is "working on" changing the Cloud so that it syncs instead of adds edited contacts.  I hope that is done soon - I think virtually all other database and "cloud" programs have been doing that for years.

0 Likes