Charge phone on or off?
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does it make any difference whether I leave my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ phone on or turn if off first  when recharging it?  (By "make a difference" I mean is will it be bad for the battery or phone to do it one way or the other; I assume recharging will take longer if the phone is on.)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Charge phone on or off?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question Telemachus. Yes, we advise to make sure you follow the proper charging steps to make sure your phone continues to work properly. You don't want to keep your phone on the charger longer than needed. Once the phone is fully charged, remove it from the charger. Keeping it on the charger more than 12hours constantly can drain the batteries shelf life. It charges faster being off.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the response.  If I understand, the answer to my basic question is that it's okay to leave the phone on (and let it receive calls, downloads, etc.) while charging it as long as you turn it off when the charging is complete,  I understand that it may take longer to charge if left on.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some phones, I remember the Samsung models being one of the these, will turn itself on when plugged in so there is no way to charge the phone while off.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It also depends on the charger--my Qi charging pad will automatically "know" when the phone has reached a full charge and it stops charging -at least the indicator light that charging is occurring goes out so it appears as if it is not charging.  Other wall plug chargers will slow to a "trickle" mode, keeping the battery topped off.

I haven't seen any adverse effects leaving the phone on during charging; in fact, my phone is rarely ever turned off, charging or not.  Every few days I reboot it, if I remember or if it seems sluggish, but typically mine is on all the time, just in Do Not Disturb mode overnight.

0 Likes
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the further responses.

My Samsung Galaxu S6 Edge+ doesn't turn itself off when I plug in the charger.

I usually turn it off when charging, unless there is a particular reason to leave it on, for instance if it's doing a lot of slow downloads. 

0 Likes