Cell Tower Location
bneumann
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in an area of spotty service and am thinking about installing a cell phone signal booster. I need to point a directional antenna toward my nearest cell phone tower. How can I determine where the nearest cell tower is located?

Labels (1)
Re: Cell Tower Location
Not applicable

Other than driving around  your area and looking for towers( which that tower may not even be Verizon ) I'd say trial and error. Just keep moving the antenna until you get the best signal.

0 Likes
Jen4Auburn
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
spamuback
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just Google cell tower locations - other forums will have more info than you'll find here - some show the exact tower locations as they're fcc regulated. Maybe try Howard forums.I'd recommend a Wilson amp and either a yagi or parabolic grid for the directional antenna - but you have to be careful as some require direct line of sight. Don't go with one the amps that cell service providers try and sell as some are limited with built-in upload/download restrictions - they'll say it's to limit interference for your neighbors - but most people needing amplification are in rural areas so I say BS on that one - go with the highest gain fcc approved Wilson.

Here's a fcc registration site link that might help - http://wireless.fcc.gov/geographic/index.htm?job=licensing_database_extracts

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
Not applicable

tikibar1 wrote:

http://www.cellreception.com/

That one is certainly better than the first link the other person posted though still not totally accurate. Says we don't have a Verizon tower in town when we certainly do and have had one for years. So I can only conclude that this site only shows towers owned by Verizon not leased by them which is somewhat helpful but leaves 3/4 the towers in my area out. Actually more like 90%. Only shows 1 Verizon tower in my whole county. Even Verizon own 4G maps shows 6 distinct tower locations. And I know for a fact they do not have all the Verizon towers in the county activated with 4G.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey bneumann!

Let me tell you right now, you're going to absolutely love the network extender. I live in a pretty rural area myself so having a booster available in my home is extremely beneficial. So, I'm more than happy to direct some advice your way.

As advised by a fellow poster, you're going to find out best through a small run a trial and error. Additionally, the closer you have it to a window the better. If you're still looking into purchasing one you can check more information out online at http://vz.to/gwFgVl . I hope this helps!

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us On Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

Evan;  I love my NE when it's working!!!  Unfortunately, mine has not worked since 3/10/13!!!!  Fast flashing red SYSTEM light (meaning it's not connecting to VW) and solid magenta GPS light.  Power and WAN both blue.  I have talked to Justin in Tech, Daryl in Tech and Justin did a trouble ticket.  But still have heard nothing.  Daryl said it could take days to figure out what is wrong!!!!!  Seems like 250 down the drain!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi psf1957,

I want you to enjoy your VZW experience and I apologize for the delay, but I am confident your issue has been addressed since your original post. If not, I can happily review the status of your trouble ticket. At your leisure, please DM me your name and wireless number. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes, it has AyaniB_VZW. A replacement NE was shipped, received Monday. Working great.  Thank you for taking the time and responding.  Still loving my Verizon.  For me, the NE is like a "security" blanket. LOL  Thank you again.

0 Likes