Casio Commando issue with Windows 7
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

My stepfather just got a Casio Commando and is having trouble accessing his MicroSD card from Windows 7

I have used many other Android devices in the past (my Eris included) and have never had an issue accessing the MicroSD card from a computer (though I have never used them on Win7, only Vista and earlier, and on OS X, mostly on XP and OS X 10.5)

When we tried connecting it, instead of getting a USB mode selection option in the pull down menu, nothing happens, the phone doesn't seem to notice that it is even connected to anything (doesn't even charge), when Win7 notices the Commando connected, it asks to install a driver (I think it said C117 or something like that) and says that it can't find one on Windows Update

When looking online, I was able to find the C117 driver, but upon installing it, all that it would do was allow the phone to charge, the phone still didn't seem to notice it was connected to a computer

I tried it on my Macbook as well and it seems to work fine, just doesn't seem to work on Win7, is there some sort of incompatibility between the Android OS or the Casio Commando and Win7?  If not, is there any reason why Win7 won't see the MicroSD card as a "Mass Storage Device"?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Casio Commando issue with Windows 7
JYGoob

I have vista and cannot get my pictures off the phone.  It will not recognize the drive basically it sounds the same as the issues listed for the Windows 7.  Can you help please!

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3
Sadly I don't think we're going to get an answer, it's nice to hear that I am not the only one who experienced this problem though
0 Likes
phillybama1
Enthusiast - Level 3

'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I do know of some other ways to get your pictures off of the phone.

#1 Email them using the picture messaging/MMS section or your email app

#2 Save them to your SD card and hopefully your computer has an SD card slot.

Nonetheless, if you're patient you should be able to get an answer.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

phillybama1 wrote:

'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I do know of some other ways to get your pictures off of the phone.

#1 Email them using the picture messaging/MMS section or your email app

#2 Save them to your SD card and hopefully your computer has an SD card slot.

Nonetheless, if you're patient you should be able to get an answer.

Well, that is a possible solution, but it's not the best solution when you are trying to transfer documents "en masse", sending files in email attachments have many limitations, like you can only send a certain limit of files, and you can only send files of a certain file size, not to mention depending on what you are trying to send, gmail does block some filetypes from sending

Also, in my case, we did try emailing them first, the problem was we never got the email, if I remember right I think the phone failed to send them

Usually everything saves to the MicroSD card by default, the only problem is just that, it's a MicroSD card, not a standard SD card, this means that you have to get a MicroSD to SD converter (these usually come with the MicroSD card, not always though), then you have to have an SD card reader, then there's the hassle of going through the settings menu, unmounting the MicroSD card, removing the MicroSD card from the phone, putting it into the converter, putting the converter into the card reader, then plugging the card reader into the computer (if it's an external USB reader), the phone itself is essentially a MicroSD card reader, why to through the hassle of using an SD card reader with a MicroSD card converter when you have a MicroSD card reader in the phone already?

The thing is I am being patient, VERY patient, if you read my timestamp, I started this thread on September 27th, it is already November 4th, that's nearly a month and a half of no answer (or attempted answer), and I didn't come back on here demanding for an answer, I just noticed on here that JYGoob that was having the same problem too and was wondering how to fix it, so I said, since I din't get a reply for a month and a half, that we might not get an answer

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Honestly, I have never tried to connect the one Casio Gz'One Commando I have access for maintenance to a computer of any kind.

Does the computer connect to a home network that has wifi? The computer itself can connect to the network through a CAT 5 cable.

The reason I ask is because I often don't physically connect my Tbolt to my computers to transfer files between machines. I use Estrongs file manager and their ability to connect to the LAN. I open Estrongs and switch to the LAN tab, press menu and then New. I "scan" for a new server until it finds the ip address of the computer I want to connect to. I select it and input the userID and password. When it connects I can see the shared folders and navigate to them. I have copied and pasted my entire DCIM folder (approximately 600+ MB) on my Tbolt to a folder on a Windows 7 laptop through this method and all through the wifi connection. It worked quite nicely.

I didn't write out all the steps to make this option work. I still have to think about it myself when I decide to connect this way. Your situation might be slightly different than mine as well.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

Ann154 wrote:
Honestly, I have never tried to connect the one Casio Gz'One Commando I have access for maintenance to a computer of any kind.

Does the computer connect to a home network that has wifi? The computer itself can connect to the network through a CAT 5 cable.

The reason I ask is because I often don't physically connect my Tbolt to my computers to transfer files between machines. I use Estrongs file manager and their ability to connect to the LAN. I open Estrongs and switch to the LAN tab, press menu and then New. I "scan" for a new server until it finds the ip address of the computer I want to connect to. I select it and input the userID and password. When it connects I can see the shared folders and navigate to them. I have copied and pasted my entire DCIM folder (approximately 600+ MB) on my Tbolt to a folder on a Windows 7 laptop through this method and all through the wifi connection. It worked quite nicely.

I didn't write out all the steps to make this option work. I still have to think about it myself when I decide to connect this way. Your situation might be slightly different than mine as well.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop

That seems like it would work fine, the only problem with that is my stepfather isn't very technically inclined, he would probably get confused trying to connect it over the network, while a physical connection, and remembering a couple settings, would make it easier for him

0 Likes
SpazticMagic

Don't feel bad, i'm struggling through the same issue. I'm probably the least technically inclined person on the planet and here i am with a Smartphone (i'm a glutton for punishment). I've updated the drivers to the most recent whatever and it still simply refuses to even communicate at all with the computer. Doesn't even offer me the opportunity to change the USB setting from the Commando. So, if nothing else, we're not alone! That's supposed to bring comfort right?

0 Likes
E_HILLMAN
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the issue as well and we SHOULD be able to expect a fix for transferring files via USB.  At work my network is secure thus I can not use the network transfer listed below.  At home this is fine (have not tested yet) but when I have work photos I need to be able to connect via USB (like my other work phones do) and transfer the files.  I contacted Casio and they stated their support agreement with Verizon did not cover phones.  So no I hope Verizon will get to work on this.  I have also e-mail customer support.

Below is my e-mail to Casio where they denied me support.  Hopefully things go better with VZW support.

--- On Mon, 4/23/12, CMS <cms@casio.com> wrote:

CMS <cms@casio.com>
Subject: RE: Casio GzOne Commando - Cannot mount
USB drive

Date: Monday, April
23, 2012, 4:00 PM

Thank you for contacting Casio
America. We are very sorry to hear you
are having a problem connecting your
Commando Phone. Unfortunately Casio
America was not included in the contract
drawn up between Casio Computer
CO LTD in Tokyo, Japan and Verizon. Anything
done would be through those
avenues.  

http://nec-casio-mobile.com/support

Margo
Technical
Support Coordinator

CASIO AMERICA, Inc
570 Mt Pleasant Ave.

Dover NJ 07801
www.casio.com

-----Original
Message-----
Sent:
Monday, April 23, 2012 9:04 AM
To: other_cms
Subject: Casio GzOne Commando
- Cannot mount USB drive

TOPIC-|Technical Support|E|
CATEGORY-|General
Information/Other
Products|E|
MODEL-|GZONECOMMANDO|E|
MARKETING-|du|E|
MESSAGE-|I have
tried on 3 computers, 2 WinXP with latest updates and
service packs and 32
bit and 1 Windows 7 PC with latest updates and
service packs running 64 bit. 
None of them can see the drives on the
phone when plugged via USB.  About all
I get is a MTP USB Device in the
device manager and all have had an
issue/conflict that
enabling/disabling will make it go away for a bit but
then it comes back
and really doesn't matter as at no point can I access the
drives on my
phone.

I have a work phone (htc) that I have since tested
on these computers
and it works fine on all of them but the GzOne just will
not mount a USB
drive.  I really need this to work as I have a LOT of media I
need to
move off the phone.

Service - Verizon Wireless
Phone #

Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.

0 Likes
E_HILLMAN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got an e-mail from Verizon, it was rather inslulting to me since though I included details about researching they assumed all I was not doing was selecting the drop down.

<<  Personal information removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless. We greatly value your business and we are committed to provide you the best customer service possible. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you have been experiencing with your service. Since I was not able to reach you by phone, I wanted to send you an email to provide as much information as I can.

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Gzone device.

I did research the issue you are experiencing and wanted to share some troubleshooting steps.

When plugging in your device into the USB port on your computer, you will want to pull down the curtain from the top of the phone

and select USB mode, and choose Mass Storage.  This will show your device as a USB storage device allowing you to access

the files on it.

If this still does not resolve the issue, please call us at 1-800-922-0204 option 3.

Most questions regarding your device can be answered by visiting us at http://www.verizonwireless.com/support. Simply sign in or register for additional account information.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. However if you need additional assistance, please reply to this email with a daytime number to reach you. You can also give us a call at 800-922-0204 and press option 3 for technical support. You will want to make sure that you are calling from a separate line and that your device is available so that we can assist you further. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services.

Justin G

MW Data Analyst Team

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes