Casio Commando 4g dropping connection while using Hotspot
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I've been having this happen regularly when I try to use my Hotspot everything seems normal then you notice your browser is taking forever to load a page so I look at my Commando to see there isn't any connection icon. Then after a few seconds 4g pops up then a few seconds later it goes away. Never has it switched to 3g but once it starts this cycle of switching on and off then it doesn't seem to stop.

https://plus.google.com/104917030267015427335/posts/GLF7aQShpfn Here's a link to a video of the issue.

Ideas? Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Casio Commando 4g dropping connection while using Hotspot
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have seen this happen on my phones but not a Commando 4G since I don't have one of those. It usually happens in a weaker area of 4G or even 3G connections. I think on occasion I would cycle the airplane mode to reset the data connection, but most of the time I waited to see if the phone would reestablish the connection on its own.

PS I sent you a follow request. I would like to pick your brain about the Commando 4G LTE and how it has been working for you. I have a family member who would be interested in it, but since I will have troubleshoot it for them I want to be sure this is a good choice for them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Ann154 by all means hit me up. I give this device a 3 star rating. 2 stars since it's pretty fudged up Android, and 1 more star for it's durability. By fudged up I mean it's 4.0 ICS with a terrible UI. The UI looks funny and there is a lot to be desired. I'm constantly hoping that Hangouts will integrate SMS because the stock SMS is just ugly and I'm not a fan of GoChat or other apps like that. My primary device is a GNex and I bought the 4g Commando to accommodate my lifestyle ( kayaking, offroading, working on cars ). It's durability makes the whole phone worth it but it is really geared towards an entry level Android user IMO. I run a Jelly Bean Launcher to hide the god awful skin that Casio put on it. I also run the Jelly Bean Camera app to get the Gallery to show uploaded photos. 

The part that bugs me about this connection issue is that the Commando 4g has great signal strength. Inside my shop I get great 4g reception ( unlike my GNex ) and the same applies for my house. I might try putting it somewhere else inside my house to test the signal theory.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please also follow me back so we can send Direct Messages privately.

At least the phone has ICS on it. The person would be coming from the 3G only version of the Commando so I'm not entirely worried about the UI, but I might consider looking into that option. The ability to disable the Bloatware without modifying the phone and more internal storage is what specifications upgrades I'm looking at. I have been using Nova Launcher on a S4 since I can't stand the TouchWiz UI.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I've followed you 😉

That's true and that's also something that scares me about the device. The original 3g Commando only received 1 update (

if my memory serves me correctly ) and it wasn't anything to get excited about. I fear this device would be extremely lucky to see 4.1 . I use the Android 4.1 Jellybean launcher by Tim Hutt, I like it because it's clean and simple. You can disable apps, I currently disable 21 apps! This person is coming from a 3g Commando will probably love the 4g model. No PTT though keep that in mind.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello GreenRobot!

Having a steady connection while browsing is definitely important! Let's make sure we get to the bottom of this. Just to double check, do you notice your data fluctuating at the same location when you're using the browser/apps on the phone itself? Have you tried the same connection on a different computer/wifi capable device to see if it drops?

Additionally, what operating system are you running (windows/mac)?

Test the above out for me and let me know what happens!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

It happens in different locations. ONLY when using the Hotspot. Windows, chrome, and Android operating systems all cause the issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GreenRobot,

Just what we needed to know. Next, how long has this been an issue? Please try going to settings > applications > all > mobile hotspot > force stop the app > restart your phone. Then test & update us.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Ok so I fixed the problem with my Commando 4g! I bought a new Moto X.... Now I have a flawless connection with my Hotspot.

So   take note. This issue is not location based since I use my Hotspot in the same location everyday and the Moto X operates properly. This issue is not due to an app since it will happen immediately after doing a complete reset. Finally it has nothing to do with the type of device the Hotspot is connected to.

0 Likes