Cannot receive picture messages via WiFi on Droid RAZR M.
ColdnessAwaits

During late 2014, my Droid RAZR M had a system update. My current Android Version 4.4.2 and my system version is 182.46.15.XT907.Verizon.en.US

Ever since this system update, I can no longer receive picture message via WiFi. (NOTE: I was able to receive picture messages via WiFi before this system update.) When I receive a picture message, it only says "Downloading." and I never get anything. I have to switch my WiFi off and turn my 4G on in order for it to come through. However, when I do this and switch back to WiFi after I get the picture message, I can't send or receive ANY text. I have to hold down my volume down button and my power button to do a soft reset EVERY time I get a new picture message. I tried contacting Motorola about this issue, and they made me reset my phone multiple times, but it never worked. It's at the point now where Motorola recommended that I download a third party texting app. However, none of the apps let me get picture messages either. They told me to contact Verizon here as it may be a problem here, saying that Verizon may not allow picture messages to come through via WiFi. (Which can't be true, because I was able to get picture messages via WiFi before this last system update.)

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a fix for it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot receive picture messages via WiFi on Droid RAZR M.
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're using the stock text app, they require a data connection to send/receive MMS.  If you had wi-fi and mobile data both on, the phone should switch seamlessly between the two, but with some phones/updates, that's ceased to be the case and wi-fi has to be off while mobile data is on for the MMS to send/receive.  You may want to consider using Verizon Messages; texts will send/receive over wi-fi when using that app.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're using the stock text app, they require a data connection to send/receive MMS.  If you had wi-fi and mobile data both on, the phone should switch seamlessly between the two, but with some phones/updates, that's ceased to be the case and wi-fi has to be off while mobile data is on for the MMS to send/receive.  You may want to consider using Verizon Messages; texts will send/receive over wi-fi when using that app.

ColdnessAwaits

I just downloaded and installed Verizon Messages, and the picture messages still aren't coming through. 😕

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Any chance it might be a SIM issue?

0 Likes
ColdnessAwaits

I have no idea, how would I find that out?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, you can try to power down the phone, remove the sim, then re-insert and then power back on.  Could be the sim wasn't seated perfectly in the slot, or the PRL needed updating.  Doing this should at least rule out the easy and free step to resolving the matter.  If not that, I'm not sure without a call to a tech or someone having a better idea.

0 Likes
ColdnessAwaits

Hm, that's odd. I took out the sim card and put it back in, but it still only says "Downloading" when I get a picture message. 😕

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

If you can't get a resolution via the forums or verizon tech support, maybe you still carry extended warranty on your phone and can replace it for free.  I have taken advantage of this 3 times, each time was after an OTA update.  So, I definitely understand there being some issues after an update.

0 Likes