Re: Cannot Get Verification Code Texts
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have done more research on my new phone and done some more experimentation.  I have concluded that the problem with my phone is that it cannot receive SMS text messages.  I can send them just fine.  I can also chat in both directions with other Android phones which bypasses SMS.

I have a solid phone signal (~3 bars) with good voice phone service.  I deleted message memory and cache and rebooted my phone to no avail.  I have no SIM card messages.

What should I try next?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TomRVA1, we appreciate you working with us to resolve this mystery. One thing that I saw you type is, "It is using a new (to me) number". What exactly do you mean by that statement? We don't know what a "(to me)" number is. You mention that it is 3 different companies that you don't receive the verification code from. Are you able to get verification codes from other companies other than these 3?  AliciaD_VZW

0 Likes
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was only pointing out that I did not port the phone number from another phone.  I thought there might be a lag in the number being validated system-wide should I have been the first to have it assigned to me.  Also, I have not received any verification codes from any companies.

However, this is all now moot.  See my earlier post from today for further testing I did.  I am losing all incoming SMS messages.  I can send SMS text without problem.  I can also 2-way chat with other Android devices.  My earlier post gives more details on the discovery process and my subsequent troubleshooting.

Also, for what it is worth, I am using a brand new phone which has a brand new SIM card in it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's vital that we get to the bottom of this, TomRVA1. I know this is confusing. Are the messages coming from short code numbers (5-6 digit numbers rather than the standard 10 digit phone number)? If so, please text "help" to each short code number for further assistance with receiving those messages. 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, TomRVA1. Are you still having issues with your text messages? CourtneyM_VZW

0 Likes
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, my phone still has issues.  My Verizon has been out of service for several days preventing me from posting.  I cannot receive any SMS or MMS messages.  I suspect the SIM is faulty.  I will post more details later,

Tags (3)
0 Likes
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I cannot receive SMS or MMS texts.  Here is the testing I did with my network engineer son in law:

• Powered down the phone, took out the SIM, powered up the phone without the SIM, powered down the phone and put the SIM back in and powered up the phone - no change.
  • Did a factory reset and rebuild. - no change.
  • Moved my SIM to my son in law's phone.  The problem moved to his phone.
  • Replaced the SIM in my phone.  The problem came back to my phone.

I suspect the SIM is at fault.

0 Likes
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sending "help" to a 6-digit address generates no response.

I cannot receive any SMS or MMS messages whether from a 6 or 10 digit number. See my other recent posts.

I believe I may have been sold a defective SIM.  This is based on extensive testing described in my other posts.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TomRVA1, thanks so much for reaching out to us about this. Our goal is to make sure you always have a working phone. I never want you to be without one. The SMS and MMS Messaging features are vital to have, and I am here to help make sure they are working properly. Also, we currently do not have any service alerts regarding My Verizon. What exactly is happening when you try to sign in? 

DiaS_VZW

0 Likes
TomRVA1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had almost a whole week of "My Verizon is temporarily unavailable."  It seems to be working OK now.

My greater concern is not receiving SMS or MMS messages.  I believe my SIM card is the culprit.  See my other posts for the testing I did.

0 Likes