Can't set up Wi-Fi on Samsung Galaxy S3
bdgrgrrl

When I try to set up a Wi-Fi connection on my Samsung Galaxy S3, I always get the message "Incorrect password." The salesperson in the Verizon store and the phone's manual both indicate that the password should be the administrator's password for the router used for our home network (one desktop, one laptop, and one wireless network printer).

I have changed the router's admin password twice (once because I forgot the password and had to reset all the router's settings from scratch, and again because I tried another password on the off-chance that it might make the connection work).

Is the router's password supposed to be something other than its admin password? Or is there something else that I'm not doing? FWIW, when I view the Advanced Settings on the Wi-Fi settings screen, they pick up router's settings correctly.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't set up Wi-Fi on Samsung Galaxy S3
Klue
Master - Level 1

Just an idea but try removing all passwords from the router, to make it an open network, then reboot the router.  Turn off the phone, turn it back on and then see if the phone recognizes the network as listed under wifi settings as an open network.

If this works you should be able to get online.  Your router then can be assigned a password and you should be able to connect to the router with your phone.

0 Likes
Re: Can't set up Wi-Fi on Samsung Galaxy S3
bdgrgrrl

Hi Klue,

I tried what you suggested this afternoon, but it didn't work. I finally got connected after several blind alleys. Hubby and I went to the Verizon store where we bought the phone soon afterward. The salesperson tried to connect to their network and wasn't able to get it to work, but he could connect to his phone, which he'd set up as a Wi-Fi hotspot. He was out of ideas and told me to contact Samsung when we got home.

I did reach a Samsung chat agent walked me through a procedure using additional settings to set up Wi-Fi on my phone. We got as far as IP address, which said Unavailable. The chat agent said to contact our ISP for what to enter in this field. While waiting on hold for the ISP's Tech Support, I realized the IP address should be unavailable because it's a dynamic IP address. When I talked to a support tech, she confirmed that but said she could help me. With her on the phone, I tried the router's admin password again, didn't work. She then suggested that I go to the router setup and first try the router's passphrase, didn't work. Finally, she asked me to try the router's first security key -- voila, she's a genius -- it worked!

While I'm glad it's working, I'm a little peeved that it took so long to solve the problem. On the other hand, the Verizon salesperson said that if Samsung couldn't help me and I had no success connecting someplace with open Wi-Fi access tomorrow, they would give me a new phone.

Thanks very much for your suggestion.

0 Likes