Re: Can't do ANYTHING e-mail related on my Samsung Galaxy Stellar!!?!
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another option that's working for folks is to download/install K-9 Mail from Google Play.

A pain to have to do workarounds, I know ... but it beats missing your e-mails

0 Likes
tamerg
Enthusiast - Level 3

K-9 gave me the same 503 Service Unavailable message.  I when so far as create a new aol email and tried to add it via other/manual and even that didn't work.

0 Likes
sistercare

Hi

I think it is time we fill a formal complaint with the consumer bureau. This is really enough. We are paying money every month to have all services, not some services.

0 Likes
ke6alv
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having this same exact issue ever since receiving my replacement phone 10 days ago.  Prior to that, my email accounts--Yahoo and Hotmail--would only refresh like once a day or so instead of pushing the message to me as I had set.  Hotmail had stopped syncing about a week or two before my phone died.  There are multiple threads on this topic, and multiple phones affected, so it's obviously not just one model or just one email service.  It's obviously on their end, yet it's taking this long to fix it??  Why would this require an update to the OS from Google?  That makes no sense. 

0 Likes
brit142

The problem is the email app that comes on the phone its not actually your email doing this. I have had several complaints about people not receiving emails or issues coming up with cant connect. What we've had to do is basically download the specific app for each email account you have. Unfortuneately aol doesn't have their own email app in the app store. Like i said i dont know what it is but the pre-installed email app that comes on the phone is junk if you ask me.

0 Likes
LinuxNinja

It's not Verizon related. It's Yahoo. It worked until the week before Christmas for EVERYONE, then stopped working for EVERYONE (that I know of). The pre-defined Yahoo email profile in Android no longer works because Yahoo made a change on their end. Use the Other email setup profile, or download the Yahoo! Mail app from the Google Play store.

Either an OS update from the Android project or a fix on Yahoo's end would resolve this. Verizon has nothing to do with it.

0 Likes
LinuxNinja

Verizon's servers don't operate Yahoo Mail.

You were mis-informed.

0 Likes
Marsh511

Many have said "set up the Yahoo mail using the "other" profile" instead of the special Yahoo option."  Well, if you already have a profile for a given email address as a Yahoo profile, the email client will not let you set up the same email address as an "Other" profile.  As soon as you input the email address, you get a message saying 'that email already exists' (or something to that effect).  And when you try to DELETE the existing, non-working email profile, you get the dreaded 503 Error - cannot contact server.  So you are screwed as far as trying to use the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 mail client.  The weird thing is that on my wife's Galaxy 3, her email setup as Yahoo accounts never stopped working, and we set ours up almost simultaneously in early December.  Mine stopped working the week before Christmas, just like everyone else here.  Any advice for when you can't set up as "Other"???

Oh, my email is not a native 'yahoo' email, but is an att.net email address, which, apparently uses the Yahoo servers...

0 Likes
LinuxNinja

Backup your phone's data (pictures, music, etc.)

Reset to factory.

Unless you're a real Android guru like some of us, and know how to use ADB, this is the easiest way to get the phone set back up.

0 Likes
DoctorBlueBox
Enthusiast - Level 1

Resetting the phone to factory settings does not solve the problem. This was already covered in the thread discussion, actually. It does, however, make the problem more apparent.

0 Likes