Re: Can’t call contacts using Voice Command on HTC DNA
SLRoss
Enthusiast - Level 2

I never claimed to be an "Einstein."  Smiley Happy And I am very happy you are totally satisfied with your phone.  I agree, talking on a cell and driving don't mix.  However, we are asked to pay increasing amounts for both “smart”phones and cell rates and yet we have taken steps backwards in technology with the DNA.

0 Likes
h2oboogie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whether I use the microphone icon within the Phone app as described above, or if I click and hold the home button to use the phone voice search --- the results are erratic and do not provide search results from contact in my phone book. Most of the time if I say "Call Mary Smith", the phone will dial a number that appears in a Google search result instead of my contact Mary Smith.  The fact that this feature is so very, very, buggy is a huge disappointment.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@h2oboogie,

I definitely understand how frustrating this must be for you. The voice command function is very convenient especially when driving.

When you try using the voice command are you using the word Call before saying the name? Try just saying the name and see if you notice a different. It isn't necessary to say the word Call before.

Keep me posted if you need further assistance.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
h2oboogie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried to use the voice command without saying the word Call before the name. When I do that, the contact information for a person appears (sometimes), but it won't dial until I touch the contact number.

Another flaw is that the voice command only recognizes certain spellings of names. For example, I have a contact named Traci Smith. Note that Traci is spelled with an "i" (not a 'y).

When I use the voice command to either call or text Traci Smith, her name will not come up because the phone only searches for Tracy Smith --- and searches the web for results.  All it has to do is pull up the Traci Smith that's programmed into my People (Contacts list).

0 Likes
WMGwizard

What I dont understand is that I was AMAZED with how accurately and conveniently my THUNDERBOLT WITH UNLIMITED DATA could dial any contact with the simple push of one button.

My new EXPENSIVE, LIMITED DATA DNA calls my mother when I ask it to CALL James on mobile.

I want my 'Bolt and data back!!!!!!!

The voice dial feature works, the voice recognition part of the program doesnt, yet the navigation responds very well to voice commands so then something in the program works right........

VZW Tech support is not much help, they Google whatever problem you hit them with then give you the answer they found.

HTC customer support says its the carrier, not the phone.

VZW customer service doesn't care if you're unhappy or choose to go elsewhere.

Well gang, looks like we're stuck

0 Likes
bdjinsd

I have the same problem with my 4 week old Droid DNA.  I have Android 4.1.1, software number 2.06.605.1 710RD, Google Search version 2.5.8.675703. I have Google Now turned off. I have had a bunch of problems trying to do handsfree dialing on this phone.

Problem #1: The voice dialer that originally came with the phone on May 9, 2013 was horrible. It never correctly interpreted my voice commands. However, after getting everything up to date, it now recognoizes about 50% of the names in my contact list.

Problem #2. The Bluetooth Voice Dialer consistently gets some names wrong. For instance, I have a contact named "Jayne." The Voice Dialer always interprets this as "James," at best. Note that when I say Voice Dialer, I am referring to the one that activates when I press the button on my bluetooth headset. On the screen it shows a red bar with the word "Google", then a microphone sysmbol, then "English(US)". Below that is text that says "Voice Dialer", then "Say "Call" followed by a name or number." And a voice in my bluetooth headset gives me the same propmpt. See the screenshot below:

2013-06-11_09-18-19.png

The interesting thing is that the Voice search from the telephone keypad consistently interprets "Jayne" correctly. EXCEPT when I turn off the Wi-Fi and the mobile data connections, in which case it intereprets it as "James." My guess is that the phone makes a choice when doing a voice search of the contacts list. If there is an internet connection it connnects to the accurate Google Voice Search, otherwise it uses the local, inacdurate voice recognition program on the phone itself. What I don't understand is why the bluetooth voice dialer seemingly doesn't try to connect to the internet to do voice recognition.

BTW, using Voice Search from the keypad does not operate in the way shown in "DROID DNA by HTC Simulator: Dialing by Voice" that you linked to, or at least it doesn't work that way on my phone. On my phone, hitting the microphone key on the keypad activates a voice search of my contact list. So if I say "John Smith" it finds John Smith. Then I tap on the search result and tap on the contact to make the call. If I say "call John Smith" it search for a contactc named "call John Smith" and of course doesn't find one. It does NOT make a call.

Problem #3. Like I said, voice search from the keypad is pretty accurate. Even better, I can go to Google search, say "Google" to activate voice searching, say "call John Smith" and my phone will call John Smith. HOWEVER, if I have a bluetooth headset connected, there is about a 15 second delay between saying "Google" and the phone accepting my voice command. So that makes is pretty useless for hands-free dialing, since I can't watch the phone for 15 seconds while I am driving. Not to mention that, even without the 15 second delay, using voice commands is not an acceptable alternative for hands-free dialing. To make a call using voice commands I have to press the power button to wake up the phone, swipe the screen to open it, type in my password to unlock it, and then press the voice search button. Not even close to hands free.

I know it is hard to get all of this complicated technology to work, but I'm just trying to do stuff that the advertising claims the phone can do - not to mention that my old Droid Incredible could do just fine.

Problem #4. Sometimes the bluetooth Voice Dialer won;t activate at all. I press the button on the headset and the phone screen flashes, but that's it. And then after a while, or after a reboot, it will start working again.

So, in summary:

1) Bluetooth Voice Dialer always interprets "Jayne" as "James", even though Google Voice Search does not have this problem. This seems to be because the Bluetooth Voice Dialer is not connecting to the internet.

2) Google Voice Search has a 15 second delay when bluetooth headset is connected.

3) Sometimes the Bluetooth Voice Dialer does not activate at all. I press the headset button, the phone screen flashes, and that is it.

BTW, based on some searches I did, many people have the similar problems. Suggested fixes include turning off media audio on my headset, turning on Touch Sounds, and, for problem #3, adjusting the bluetooth volume during the 15 second delay. None of these worked for me. Perhaps these fixes work for Android 4.2, which I have heard has it's own bluetooth problems.

So, any suggestions?

0 Likes
bdjinsd

Oops, in that last paragraph I meant that adjusting the bluetooth volume is reported to fix problem #2, not #3.

0 Likes
brewer00psd

I uninstalled google play music updates and disabled it in app settings.  My voice commands starting working properly immediately.  It only took almost 7 mos. And 3 different BT headsets.  Found a similar topic on android central.  Someone suggested it there.

Best of luck.

Matt

0 Likes
bdjinsd

This fix only works for Motorola phones. And apparently Motorola has just updated their voice commands to fix the bug:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/1HZc6YKje6c

0 Likes