Can I use the prepaid Mote E on my postpaid Verizon account?
kfilter
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am confused about Verizon's device locking policy. Device Unlocking Policy | Verizon Wireless It says that the LTE prepaid devices are not locked and do not need a password. So could I buy this Moto E Moto E Prepaid | Verizon Wireless and pop in my LTE Sim card and use it right away on my post paid account? If the phones are not locked I don't see why it would not work. Thanks for any help. I am a poor college student who needs a usable phone for a couple months before I am eligible for an upgrade.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use the prepaid Mote E on my postpaid Verizon account?
kfilter
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is some of the information I gathered, although a lot of places I see that if you pop in your sim when you first get the phone it will work without the 6 months. From their policy:

Prepaid Device Unlocking Policy:

• We do not lock our 4G LTE Prepaid devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.
  • Our 3G Prepaid Phone-in-the-Box phones are restricted for use with our Prepaid service for six months after activation, and are locked to the Verizon Wireless network for 12 months after activation. After six months, the restriction to our Prepaid service is automatically removed.

Since the Moto E is 4G LTE it seems like it should work right away. They specify that the 3G Phone-In-The-Box are restricted for 6 months, but not the 4G LTE prepaid phones. I feel like they just try to tell everyone it won't work.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

All pre paid phones must be active on a pre paid line for 6 months before being able to activate it on a post pay account...that's coming from a Verizon rep 5 min ago.

I'd suggest Swappa.com or something similar and safe to find a reasonable-priced temp phone till upgrade/money time.

0 Likes
kfilter
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is some of the information I gathered, although a lot of places I see that if you pop in your sim when you first get the phone it will work without the 6 months. From their policy:

Prepaid Device Unlocking Policy:

• We do not lock our 4G LTE Prepaid devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.
  • Our 3G Prepaid Phone-in-the-Box phones are restricted for use with our Prepaid service for six months after activation, and are locked to the Verizon Wireless network for 12 months after activation. After six months, the restriction to our Prepaid service is automatically removed.

Since the Moto E is 4G LTE it seems like it should work right away. They specify that the 3G Phone-In-The-Box are restricted for 6 months, but not the 4G LTE prepaid phones. I feel like they just try to tell everyone it won't work.

Snn5
Legend

You may be right.  Rep might be wrong since I asked her about a Moto E, and she might not have been up to snuff on the 4G aspect.

0 Likes
kfilter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ya I will go to store or call and try to find the exact answer. The Device Unlocking policy for all these carriers is very confusing and vague. Thanks for your help.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I was a college student once so I definitely understand how you feel. Purchasing a prepaid phone will not work on a post paid account unless it has been on a prepaid account for 6 consecutive months.  What happened to your current device?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

• Moto E is 4G LTE.
0 Likes
kfilter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Then why in Verizon's Device Unlocking Policy does it explicitly say that Verizon does not lock their 4G LTE (aka Moto E) Prepaid Devices? The 6 month activation is listed under 3G Prepaid Phone-in-the-Box which is not the Moto E. My phone has a cracked screen, and the mic is broken so people can't hear me on a phone call, and the power button is broken so the phone is constantly sleeping and pulling up the power menu by itself.

PureNRG

Im gonna be going now to  try this out I will let you know if it works if you haven't tried already.

0 Likes
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes