Can I switch my phone to Xiaomi Mi Mix 2?
lyupin08

I'm interested with Mi Mix 2, a new model from Chinese company Xiaomi. This model was announced on Sep 11, 2017. It is new, so it hasn't been listed on Verizon.

Although it doesn't have the plan to launch in US market by now, its modem supports 43 network bands, including "all U.S. LTE bands". See: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 - Full phone specifications  and Xiaomi's Mi Mix 2 Was Built With The U.S. Audience In Mind

From the instructions of "Activate a Device on an Existing Line", I see a Check Device step. Activate, Switch or Bring Your Own Device FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Will Mi Mix 2 pass the check?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I switch my phone to Xiaomi Mi Mix 2?
corigurl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon can place non-Verizon devices on lines....it is a pain in the butt, and they cannot guarantee that the device will work as intended as it is not a Verizon approved device...

Whhat you would have to do is get a Verizon SIM card that is compatible with your device....then you would have to get the SIM card activated on a different device, then place the SIM card out of the other device and place it into your device....Because they cannot activate a SIM card in a non-Verizon device, it has to be activated in that other device first...

Once you have a non-Verizon device on your line, you will not be able to change your plan, or anything like that, it sets up limitations on your account....so you would have to deactivate the device and then reactivate it any time you wanted to make any account changes...

So while it may be possible, it may not be worth it.

View solution in original post

deloused
Master - Level 3

While that device is technically compatible with all network types operated in the US, the coverage and services would be limited if used with Verizon to LTE band 13 only. For it to operate on the full Verizon network the manufacturer would have to submit for testing approval, which won't happen as Xiaomi doesn't plan to offer it in the US

0 Likes
corigurl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon can place non-Verizon devices on lines....it is a pain in the butt, and they cannot guarantee that the device will work as intended as it is not a Verizon approved device...

Whhat you would have to do is get a Verizon SIM card that is compatible with your device....then you would have to get the SIM card activated on a different device, then place the SIM card out of the other device and place it into your device....Because they cannot activate a SIM card in a non-Verizon device, it has to be activated in that other device first...

Once you have a non-Verizon device on your line, you will not be able to change your plan, or anything like that, it sets up limitations on your account....so you would have to deactivate the device and then reactivate it any time you wanted to make any account changes...

So while it may be possible, it may not be worth it.

lyupin08

I'm ok with the inconveniences you talked about. I'm currently a Verizon user  in a shared plan. So I have an activated SIM. I don't change the data plan at all because I'm not the account holder. I'm happy to hear that they can register non-Verizon phone.

0 Likes
corigurl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would just double check that your current SIM card is the appropriate size for the new phone, as SIM cards vary by device....then all you should have to do is put that SIM card into the new device, and you are good to go

Also make sure that the phone you currently have is completley powered off before removing the SIM/ that the new phone is powered off as well before you insert the SIM, if you don't you can damage the SIM card and cause it to not work.

0 Likes
lyupin08

Both phones require Nano-SIM. Thank you.

0 Likes