Can I activate a used, original model HTC One?
dbraunst
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi. I'm considering purchasing a first-edition, used HTC One and just want to make sure I will have no problems activating it. I currently am in a 2-year contract with a RAZR Maxx and it's incredibly slow and practically worthless at this point. The seller is also a Verizon customer who cannot keep paying his bill. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I activate a used, original model HTC One?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Dbraunst,

I am excited to hear that you are considering purchasing new equipment. You can check the device id here to see if the device can be activated prior to purchasing http://vz.to/1nu9goW .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

I would get the HTC One's IMEI number and call customer support to see if the phone has been reported lost or stolen.

You also want to check that the SIM cards are the same.

Purchase the used device from a reputable site or company.  Not a pawnshop or a friend of your cousin who knows a guy.  If you purchase the device and it is later reported lost or stolen for an insurance claim, the insurance company will know the phone has be activated on your account and they will seek remedy.  Its not worth the hassle. 

If you are just in a 2 year contract and not the Edge program, you can switch phones and you can also sell your Razr Maxx.  It will not affect your contract date. 

Verizon may also give you the option to "EDGE-UP" early before your contract expiry date.  The way the early Edge program works is you trade in your good smart phone active on the account (your Droid Razr Maxx), and you can select a new phone by just paying the taxes dues, and then a small monthly fee for the device every month for 2 years. 

Don't like the Razr Maxx (understand that) but you love the Droid--try the Droid Ultra or Droid Maxx.  Both are great fast and powerful phones with all the unique droid features and more.  That HTC One is bland compared to any Droid in my opinion. Once you start using a Droid its hard to leave.   The HTC One is fast.  Just not a lot of personality to me.  I went from Droid Bionic to HTC One back to the Droid Ultra.  I Love the Droid Ultra (except for the Kit Kat limitations). 

dbraunst
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks a lot Patience_Gone. I really appreciate it. Yeah, this guy is selling it on Craig's List and he lives in Monterey and I live in San Francisco. Logistically it's not a great fit and I don't know the guy from Adam as they say. He seems legit but you never know. I think I will take that advice. As far as the phone goes, I'm pretty much no frills. I just need it to be fast and responsive. The RAZR Maxx is in such poor shape it won't even switch over in time for me to get calls. Not much use having a phone if you can't answer it. So I take it the Droid Ultra will be able to be activated as would the HTC One? My contract expires in October. I was introduced to the Edge Program and it just didn't seem to pencil out for me in the long run. It appeared to be a good fit for people that want the latest and greatest all the time. I just want something that will be able to keep up at least for the next months until my contract expires and perhaps beyond. Any other insight you have is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Dbraunst,

I am excited to hear that you are considering purchasing new equipment. You can check the device id here to see if the device can be activated prior to purchasing http://vz.to/1nu9goW .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes