Can I activate a Nexus 6 on Verizon without going through the other-phone SIM process?
marcelfan

If a bring a Nexus 6 bought from Google Play to a Verizon store, will they be able to active it without going through the other-phone SIM process?

Please don't answer questions about cutting down my SIM or activating a nano-SIM on another phone and transferring it to the Nexus 6.  I'd just like to go into the store, show them the Nexus 6, and have them activate it with a fresh SIM.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I activate a Nexus 6 on Verizon without going through the other-phone SIM process?
dgray77
Enthusiast - Level 1

YES, you can.  I did exactly that.   But I first made the mistake of going to a Verizon affiliate store (I did not know there was a difference at the time), and they could not do it.  They sold me a nano sim (blank) for $25 though.  Essentially ripped me off.  I went online, and located a Verizon operated store.  I went there back in mid-December,  I explained to the rep. that all I needed was a nano sim that was programmed for my account.  She was skeptical, but I assured her, that if she could do that, the phone WOULD work.  They didn't then (& may still not) have much, if any experience with the Nexus 6.  I explained that it was unlocked, and purchased from Google on the Google Play store, and that all that was required to activate it was the nano sim.  She took the phone to a back room, and was gone for about 15 minutes.  I'm guessing that while she was gone, she contacted VZW tech support, programmed a sim card, and put it in my phone.  As she returned, she turned my phone on, made a test call to another phone, and it worked perfectly.  She was still speaking to someone on her phone, telling them she was making a test call, and sounded genuinely & pleasantly surprised when it worked.  She handed my N6 back to me, I checked it out , made a test call of my own, and I've been good to go ever since.  They did not use the nano sim the franchise store sold me, rather, they installed a new one of their own, and didn't charge me a penny.  Not for the sim, or the ativation/service.  So yes, a VZW owned and operated store (not a franchise store) should be able to get you up and running.  All they have to do is program a sim with your account info.  Hope this helps!  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Can I activate a Nexus 6 on Verizon without going through the other-phone SIM process?
Tidbits
Legend

No. You can if Verizon starts selling it and the phone can download the payload to activate Sims.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Just buy a Sim adaptor tool and use your old device to activate it then swap the sims.  You can get Noosy for $1-3 shipped.

0 Likes
dgray77
Enthusiast - Level 1

YES, you can.  I did exactly that.   But I first made the mistake of going to a Verizon affiliate store (I did not know there was a difference at the time), and they could not do it.  They sold me a nano sim (blank) for $25 though.  Essentially ripped me off.  I went online, and located a Verizon operated store.  I went there back in mid-December,  I explained to the rep. that all I needed was a nano sim that was programmed for my account.  She was skeptical, but I assured her, that if she could do that, the phone WOULD work.  They didn't then (& may still not) have much, if any experience with the Nexus 6.  I explained that it was unlocked, and purchased from Google on the Google Play store, and that all that was required to activate it was the nano sim.  She took the phone to a back room, and was gone for about 15 minutes.  I'm guessing that while she was gone, she contacted VZW tech support, programmed a sim card, and put it in my phone.  As she returned, she turned my phone on, made a test call to another phone, and it worked perfectly.  She was still speaking to someone on her phone, telling them she was making a test call, and sounded genuinely & pleasantly surprised when it worked.  She handed my N6 back to me, I checked it out , made a test call of my own, and I've been good to go ever since.  They did not use the nano sim the franchise store sold me, rather, they installed a new one of their own, and didn't charge me a penny.  Not for the sim, or the ativation/service.  So yes, a VZW owned and operated store (not a franchise store) should be able to get you up and running.  All they have to do is program a sim with your account info.  Hope this helps!  Smiley Happy

0 Likes