Re: Caller numbers have added characters - ";rn=1817602"
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you very much for sharing all those important details and for working with us in order to get this issue resolved. It's definitely worrying to see that you continue seeing additional characters associated with a number when you miss a call since 2 weeks ago even after restarting your device in Safe Mode. We want to make sure that we find the root cause for this issue especially because this is affecting all calls including the ones received from numbers that you know. Could you please check if there are any updates available for your device? Please make sure that the software and all apps are up to date. Just to confirm, are these calls being received through the Calling app that came preinstalled on your Samsung Galaxy S6??

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
Fyrman435
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, phone is up to date and working properly other than this issue. Update G920VVRU4DRE1. I have no apps on the phone that have anything to do with incoming or outgoing calls. Original calling app that came with the phone is what I am using. 

0 Likes
JoeMikeKnight
Contributor - Level 1

I am completely devastated on how Verizon is handling your issue. I can give you a good idea what’s going on.

You are being contacted from someone with a spoofed number, and it seems they might have somehow gained an exploit that is unique to your phone model to cause additional caller ID issues.

THERE IS CURRENLY NO SOLUTION to this problem as it stands. The FCC has continually put a little pressure on carriers like Verizon to implement and test NEW technologies (that ONLY work best on the back end, no "anti-spam" app you would install yourself). 

What Verizon is likely doing (and most carries) is just using your data/info to help them improve their current technology (which will do very little).  

The type of hardware, software, and resources these spammers are using to both spoof their number into weird characters and continually call you is too powerful and overwhelming for ANY carrier (at least currently). Of course, they will never admit it, but its known. The FCC has stated this several times, and has even encouraged consumers to report directly to them via FCC.gov.

I have come to the conclusion that big carriers do not care what the people and the FCC have to say about this issue and don’t feel the customer base is worth escalating the new tech (which is in the works by the way) and apply this. We are simply, at the moment, not worth it. All we are worth is an app (Roboblocker etc)that sort of helps with the issue but not directly addresses it. The catch is, multiple people have to be “spammed” and have it tagged before it finally gets flagged on future calls. And with such a high volume of spam, that means a lot of us have to be the “Guinea pigs” for it to help others.

I also partly blame the FCC for doing such a horrid job of addressing this and simply slapping the hands of carriers who have been ridden with this issue.

To stay positive, if you google what the future holds, there is promising tech out there, but when we will see it……….they say…..soon.

jonasnoble
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll give you the software version in a bit, but the phone is up to date. It doesn't matter where I am, I could be driving, at work, on Wi-Fi calling at my home network, or even in New York, the same thing happens. The only difference is the truncated re-routing phone number is different, depending on geographical location.

Are there any real people responding to these forums? Or just bots?

0 Likes
jonasnoble
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is only land line calls converted to cellular, that are affected. All mobile to mobile calls apprear correctly in my caller ID. 

It doesn't matter whether I know the caller or not. My home phone appears with the extra characters, even though I have it saved as a contact.

Furthermore, I believe only older Samsung phones are affected. My S6 is affected, my wife's S8 is not.

0 Likes
nevadabob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue on Galaxy S6 (dont care its paid for) and when mom calls me shows an ,rn=+1209662 i have called moms provider they dont know and no one at verizon store had clue, am using NO SOFTWARE for caller id other than what verizon has on system

nevadabob
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is all well and good but the number that is calling is my MOTHER and not a spam call.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for those detials. We can assure you that we are live agents attempting to assist you. Can you please clarify, does it show the added characters on your call log? If so, please provide a visual. AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes
nevadabob
Enthusiast - Level 2
nevadabob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a s6 edge that is up to date on updates and has no damage - it does not do this from calls from other cell phones only calls from landlines.