Re: Caller numbers have added characters - ";rn=1817602"
tzalyp
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue for the past couple months, the additional numbers are attached to 50% of my incoming calls, blocking the numbers would block some of my actual contacts.

My issue is that I cannot use any robo call blocker and I'm getting 30 spam calls a day... the called ID is also not working even if the person calling is in my contact list.

@vzw_customer_support Please help!!!

sheryls1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been having this same problem a while too on a Samsung Note 5.  I've missed important calls from my contacts!  I'm not sure if it's certain contacts where it adds the  characters or if it's random, but one is my husband!

So is the fix absolutely to call Verizon, shut the phone down, and have them remove then add back caller ID?   it seems like a widespread enough problem that Verizon could fix something in their software that someone obviously broke when this suddenly started.

pstanJack
Enthusiast - Level 2

All the normal voice calls. I noticed when my ringtones were not working when my husband calls. I never could figure out why, so one day driving in my car and he called and on the panel I could see these rn= number added to the end of his call. I then called from home number and seen rn= numbers added to this call. Now I can tell all incoming calls have rn= added very annoying because when answer phone works fine - but cannot do anything special with numbers like ringtones, etc. because added numbers at the suffix of number.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the hassle this has caused. Has the Call Filter app updated on the phone from the previous name of Caller Name ID?

YaleK_VZW

0 Likes
kittenofD00m
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue, but the appended info is ";rn=+1404290". 

Blocking is useless because the actual phone number before this string changes constantly. 

Verizon could fix all of this is they really wanted to. They could give us a way to block all calls originating from certain countries. For instance, I don't want any calls from any country other than the U.S.. That would be easy for them.

They could let us whitelist everyone in our contact lists - by sending the contact list to Verizon's servers for filtering before they reach our phones. They could even force every number not in our white list directly to voice mail.

If needed, Verizon could put out their own phone app for Android (not sure if it is ppossible for iOS) that would automatically send all calls not in our contact list to voicemail without ever ringing. How hard would that be?

It isn't that they can't do it, they just don't want to do it.

The real answer is to get a phone with just a data plan and then use an app like Mesenger to call your firends and family. If Messenger can put you in control of your phone, Verizon has absolutely no excuse for not doing it as well.

pstanJack
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good Day,

I seemed to have stumbled on something because of a previous post talking about reinstalling caller id. What seemed to work for me is I went to the caller id app and I did a force stop, after this I did a restart on my phone which powering off should serve as the same (which in essence is a reboot) and it cleared things up! Hopes this works for others as well!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kittenofD00m, I would be feeling much the same way if I was getting calls from that strange string of numbers. I want to investigate this with you, to see what's happening. Where is the string of numbers appearing in relation to the phone number that's calling you? Does the call with this code of numbers occur during a specific time of day? Have you tried adding the 'rn=1404290' as the string of numbers to block on your device?

JohnT_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're happy to hear this, pstanJack! CecileC_VZW

0 Likes
PRoth
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has anyone found a solution to this.  The proposed solutions didn't work for me.  This is driving me crazy.  It seems to be a Verizon bug.

Several people mentioned they have the problem on a Note 5.  Me too.  Does anyone have this problem on a DIFFERENT phone?

Just to clarify:

• The ";rn=xxxxxx" is appended to some incoming numbers, sometimes.  Not always.  Not always the same number for the xxxxxx (but always six digits).
  • Since it is appended to numbers from friends in my contact list, call blockers that allow callers in the contact list NO LONGER WORK because they don't recognize the number.  I have tried several, and none of them work anymore.  This is also messing with my other apps that use the calling number, like one that speaks the name of the caller.
  • Since the ";rn=xxxxxx" is appended to known spam callers (sometimes), it breaks call blockers that have a database of "bad" callers.
  • Since the ";rn=xxxxxx" is not always appended, it makes it hard to block numbers, since you may need to block it more than once, and some blockers don't accept the longer number.

For what it is worth, the ";rn=" is a valid thing to add to a phone number, according to this standard:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4694

It seems that there is a bug in the Verizon software that is allowing the Routing Number to "leak out" to other apps like call blockers, which messes them up.

Can anyone from Verizon Wireless look into the software on the phone to see how and why the Routing Number is now being passed on to apps?  This is new, in the last few months, and I suspect it happened with an update to the Note 5 software (and maybe other phones also).   I think that only Verizon's software engineers can really fix this problem, and it will require another update.  Can any of the customer support people on this forum refer this problem to the right engineers?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As details are being collected, we want to be sure we have every bit of information, PRoth. Your post mentions calls blockers. What is the name of the call blocking service that’s used?

DavidH_VZW

0 Likes