Caller numbers have added characters - ";rn=1817602"
brw0mbat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just in the past week or so, calls I receive often have extra characters showing up as the calling number. The real caller number will be there, followed by the characters in the subject line. So the caller number will show as "[removed];rn=1817602". This is messing with both my caller ID and spam blocker software; both tend to take the last digits as the caller's number, when in actuality the first part is the real number calling.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any known cause, fix, or workaround?

Content modified as required by @verizon_wireless_term

Re: Caller numbers have added characters - ";rn=1817602"
Gshane
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have received similar calls from telemarketers and the caller id shows [removed];rn=+1978808

My app "Should I Answer" is not blocking these calls

How can I block these calls?

Content modified as required by verizon_wireless_term 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You can either block them from your device, please clarify what kind of device you have.. or if these are the same numbers we can block them for you as well on our system. We will be rolling out a new feature at the end of March called "Call Filter". This will put an end to those pesky robo calls and spam callers as well. Here is a link to stay updated on its release:https://www.verizon.com/about/news/verizon-robocallers-your-days-are-numbered-starting-march-verizon....

CraisS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
brw0mbat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Blocking the numbers is not an option -- remember, the extra digits appear on every call, including actual people I know and want to talk to (my wife, parents, etc.). Every caller, whether wanted or spam, has these same added digits. My caller ID and spam blocker both take these extra digits as the number of the caller, so if I were to block them, no calls at all would get through.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I certainly understand that blocking those numbers is not an option, brw0mbat. I too would be concerned if I started having extra numbers added to the end of each one that contacts me. Let’s take a step back and figure out what is causing those extra characters to be added. You mentioned that this started the past week or so; What changes happened with your device prior to this issue starting? What happens when you receive a phone call while in Safe Mode? Here’s how to reboot in Safe Mode: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-111483/

Safe Mode will disable any 3rd party applications temporarily to help determine if an application is causing this issue.

JosephE_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

sharon27
Enthusiast - Level 1

brw0mbat I am curious to know if this worked. I am having the same issue. Started a week or so ago.

sharon27
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also, I have the same phone as you.

Jvt626
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Samsung note5 and the same thing started happening to my phone within the last 2 weeks as well... 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jvt626, we never want you to have issues with your device. When did this start? Is this when any number calls you? Please restart your device and see if the issue persists.

EricaG_VZW. 

0 Likes
PGunn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem it's like an extension is added to the number. The first part is the spoofed number they are using the second part, the ;RN=1978808 appears to be comming from the same scam going on.
What I'm trying is add the number 1978808 and give it a name of unknown to my contacts.
Next I called the number (1978808) it rejected it as expected.
Next I blocked the number (I have a Samsung S5) I'll let you know how it works out.