CDMA vs. GSM
Solofo

Can I exchange my phone (working on the Verizon CDMA carrier) with another one with GSM carrier? I am moving to a country using GSM only, and I love my current HTC phone. Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: CDMA vs. GSM
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the current HTC phone you use? Many of Verizon's LTE enabled phones support GSM as well. Once unlocked, they can usually be brought over to another carrier and activated against their network.

0 Likes
Solofo

Thanks for replying Smith6612. I am using a HTC One 4G LTE. I am told Verizon works only with CMDA carrier, that's why I asked. Thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You were not told incorrectly. Verizon is a bit weird, now that they have LTE. The CDMA 1XRTT and E -DO Rev. A 3G networks are still the core foundation of Verizon's network for voice, data, and SMS service. However now that Verizon is rolling out LTE, a technology based off of GSM, they are moving closer to the GSM model. That's why phones from Verizon now have SIM cards.

Here's a spec list of your phone:HTC One 4G LTE

Notice your phone does support GSM, meaning it will work with GSM carriers. Just note that it will only provide 3G access and not LTE access, since many international carriers use different LTE bands from what is used in North America.

0 Likes
Solofo

Thank you very much, I really appreciate. Your explanation is really helpful. I am happy that I can use my HTC back home then. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure to ask Verizon to unlock your phone first. You're welcome!

0 Likes