Bought phone, data package required?
sk8rluvr

I just bought a new and unused phone from a friend who got it as a gift and doesnt have the same carrier.  It's the HTC Droid Eris.  Do I have to get a data package if I want to use it? And if so, can i get the $15 data package or is it required to get the $30 package?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Bought phone, data package required?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
New and unused?
I would highly doubt it. The Droid Eris was released in November 2009 and discontinued in June 2010.
If it really is, wow what a find! I wonder what version of Android OS is it running?

Is data package required?
Yes, absolutely yes.

Data plan size?
As long as you turn off the mobile network switch or use the phone's handy widget made for switching it on and off and use the wifi mainly, you should be okay with the $15 plan.

After having my Eris for a year now and keeping track of my data usage, I found out the following. During the first eight months, I stayed under 200 mb. Six of those months, I was under the 150 mb limit of the $15 plan. I used wifi almost exclusively during that time and rarely used the gps navigation (maybe once or twice a month). I kept the mobile network off even while connected to wifi so that if the wifi disconnected while the screen was off the mobile network couldn't turn on. I never turned off the auto sync during this time. The last four months however my habits changed and now I hover around 500 mb per month.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Bought phone, data package required?
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, the Droid Eris will require a data plan and you can choose the 150MB plan. If you do, you should keep an eye on your data usage for at least the 1st month to see if you need to upgrade to the unlimited plan.

0 Likes