Re: Battery issues since Galaxy S5 update
iradog85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, over the past week I have tried multiple things to improve battery life, but it always comes back to the same thing. It's not anything that I am doing, it's the fact that for some reason the Lollipop OS is CONSTANTLY using most of my RAM. There are so many things that are constantly running in the background, I just don't understand it. While my phone is at rest, the battery seems to do ok, but the SECOND I start using it, the battery drains horribly. When text messaging, it will drain about 1% every 60 seconds I have the app open. Do the math, that means I'm only getting about 100 minutes of real usage out of my phone. I am so pissed about this. I am paying Verizon a lot of money every month for services I can't make full use of. And forget about playing games. Why am I going to play games on my phone if it eats up 10% of my battery in 10 minutes?

Verizon Wireless Customer Support, you claim you want me to continue to love my phone, but there is nothing you can do to put it back to the way it was. I have tried running it in Safe Mode, I have tried uninstalling all the 3rd party apps to see if that made a difference, I have done a Factory Data Reset...and by the way, I made sure to sync all of my contacts to the Cloud before I did the FDR, and it did not save all of my contacts. It RANDOMLY lost a few, so I can't even fully trust your software to do what it's supposed to do. I feel at this point the only way you could make me happy again is to figure out a way to allow me to downgrade back to the old KitKat OS. I've been told left and right that that is simply not possible. Well that's a load of BS! You guys SUCK!!!!

0 Likes
iradog85
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went to Security, and clicked on Phone administrators, but found that Android Device Manager was already unchecked. What does this mean? It says if I enable it that it will do a Factory Data Reset on my phone, and that's not what I want.

I went ahead and uninstalled Google Play Services, then reinstalled/updated it. What steps do I take from here?

0 Likes
iradog85
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just checked my Battery consumption graph, and it shows that the Android OS accounts for 40% of my battery consumption. Just RIDICULOUS.

0 Likes
SusanDavis
Enthusiast - Level 2

This update has ruined my phone. Battery power is gone twice as fast. Phone gets hot. Freezes. Reboots. Had to even take the battery out to get the phone to quite rebooting. I want this update off my phone!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
SusanDavis, we want to do all that we can to get your device back to the way that it use to be. I apologize that once you download the software update, you will be unable to remove it. However, let's try a few steps to resolve your issues. Do you have 3rd party applications downloaded to your device? Try uninstalling a few applications one at a time to determine if an application is conflicting with the update.

Do you have any physical or liquid damage on your device? Are you using the charger that came with your device?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
SusanDavis
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone is still not working very well. I did a factory reset. It still just reboots at random times and gets hot if I play a game or use it very much. I quit using it when it starts to get hot and let it cool off. I've experimented with turning things off and it's not as bad as it was but my opinion is that update ruined a very good phone and software. It was not happening prior to the update and I was very happy with the phone and service. I am not now.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
SusanDavis, It's truly disheartening to learn that your phone is still not working at it's best. We want you to be happy again. Have you tried running the Software Repair Assistant http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/galaxy-s5-update/?lid=sayt&sayt=samsung%20galaxy%20s5%20soft*? This is a great tool that will address any device issues potentially caused by unapproved or faulty software on the device. It will automatically attempt to back up your data, install the most recent version of manufacturer-approved software and restore your data on the device. Many of our customers have been successful with this tool. Please keep us updated.
TanishaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
aaronandsarasmommy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having problems too. I absolutely hate everything about the latest update. My battery doesn't last half the day now, and I'm unhappy with the other changes too. When my screen is locked the upper left corner used to show if I had emails, missed calls, or text msgs. Now it just says "Verizon Wireless". I know that I have Verizon; I don't need to be told. Other problems are: my number keypad is much smaller during a call, copying and pasting text is more difficult now, I don't like the larger bars when I look at the apps I have open, my internet won't open to the last page I was on anymore, and I don't like that I can't see how many tabs I have open in Chrome. I have tried and tried to change things back to the way they were, but I haven't been able to find any way to get my phone back the way I want.  Basically, like I said before, I hate everything about the new update. I would uninstall it, but I don't have the option. Please get rid of this mess! I'm very unhappy!

trixygator
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree.  Phone overheats and then shuts down, battery life is NOTHING compared to what it was, calls get dropped constantly, continually being bounced out of apps, being bounced back to home screen, takes FOREVER to charge now, etc.  I used to love this phone.  Now I'd like to run it over.  Two or three times.  I wish I could go back to Kit Kat.  BTW, I have already done a factory reset and it hasn't helped.  Thanks for this absolute crap update.  I always swore I wouldn't by an "i" product, but I'm seriously considering it now.

0 Likes
hapersson

Count me in as a victim of what ever change has been recently pushed to the Galaxy S5.  Both my wife and I have the S5.  In recent days we have seen our phones drain in a matter of hours in not minutes.  i see the app mm-qcamera-daemon taking most of the battery.  We are running stock applications.  An internet search shows that the mm-qcamera-daemon is a well known and common problem for which there seems to be no answer.  Where do we stand on this?  I travel frequently for work and find a $600 dollar 3-hour phone unacceptable...

0 Likes