Re: BEWARE! SD data deleted from Galaxy S5 when installing update _SM-G900V_NE9_TO_NI12
cfwegman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Morning, still waiting on phone replacement instructions.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
Re: BEWARE! SD data deleted from Galaxy S5 when installing update _SM-G900V_NE9_TO_NI12
cfwegman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sniff?  Waiting on Verizon instructions.  

0 Likes
Re: BEWARE! SD data deleted  from Galaxy S5 when installing update _SM-G900V_NE9_TO_NI12
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If a factory reset does that fix the phone's issue,  have you tried booting the phone to ODIN mode and reloading the firmware using Samsung Kies from a computer? That will likely solve the problem if it is just the phone misbehaving.

Note that doing this erases everything on the phone.  You cannot interrupt the software load or the phone will be a brick. Back up your stuff first  before using ODIN mode.

0 Likes
cfwegman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope. And everything you just detailed is Greek to me procedurally.  Sounds like a total reset. I've put several evenings into redoing with zero to show for it. 

0 Likes
Re: BEWARE! SD data deleted  from Galaxy S5 when installing update _SM-G900V_NE9_TO_NI12
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Reloading software using ODIN mode is a full reset, and is risky if you interrupt it. It corrects issues with phones that are caused by updating phones using Wi-Fi/Cellular.

To back up your data, use an app like Titanium backup to do the grunt work for you. Otherwise, I recommend searching the Internet on how to back up your phone using a USB connection to a computer. Samsung Kies can assist with this too.

Samsung Kies can be downloaded from https://www.samsung.com/us/kies/.

To use Kies to reflash the phone, you have to do the following.

1: Charge up the phone, then power off the phone and then remove the battery for safe measure. Then re-insert the battery.

2: Connect a USB Cable to the PC.

3: Press the Power button, while holding down the home button and the Down Volume button. Keep holding until the phone shows a Warning screen.

4: Open Samsung Kies. The program should say the phone is in recovery mode. Follow the on-screen prompts to restore the phone to factory after reinstalling the Android OS.

These are the general instructions that should give you a guideline. You can search the web for your particular device and computer on how to do this in depth.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the delayed response cfwegman! Please visit this link http://vz.to/uyYF0o for the Certified Like New Replacement process as per manufacturers' warranty.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
twedlake

cfwegman and others.  I hope now that all this time has passed you got this resolved.  I just ran into the same thing however no updates were involved.

Wife and I both have S5 phones with SanDisk 64GB cards in them that we've been using for at least 1.5 years with nary an issue.  She ran out of storage at my Son's basketball game on Wednesday of last week with her SD card so I dismounted my card in my S5, dismounted her card in her S5, put mine in her phone and away she went.  So I get home and grab her card, put it in a card reader, copy off the plethora of pics and videos she had on it.  Deleted all the contents of the card so it would be empty going back into my phone.  Yeah, not!  For several days now I have fought and fought with this and VZW support being no help.  So I happened upon this post a few minutes ago and being IT, I did get what smith6612 was saying in his post.  So I grabbed the latest version of Samsung Kies (3) and install it.  Plug my phone in which had the SD card in it that would not mount, would not format, etc. for days.  I did absolutely nothing other than open Kies and all of a sudden ding, ding again, and it's windows opening up the card in the S5 that it would never see for the previous week while plugged into the S5.  Craziness at best that it simply works now after Kies was installed and phone connected.  Hopefully this helps someone else not have to live through the frustrations I have over the past week with this issue.

0 Likes