Re: BEWARE! SD data deleted  from Galaxy S5 when installing update _SM-G900V_NE9_TO_NI12
Cantphaseme
Enthusiast - Level 2

No where does it state that you have to pull out the SD card before the update. I, not being tech savvy, would have never known to pull out the SD card for an update and never have in the past. Regardless, telling the OP to take out the SD card before installing the update, after the fact, means jack.

Re: BEWARE! SD data deleted from Galaxy S5 when installing update _SM-G900V_NE9_TO_NI12
Klue
Master - Level 1

Sorry I replied to the wrong poster, I thought I was answering the OP.

0 Likes
Re: BEWARE! SD data deleted  from Galaxy S5 when installing update _SM-G900V_NE9_TO_NI12
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cfwegman,

I apologize for the problems with the SD card since the update. We will definitely to find a resolution for you. Is there a specific error message you get?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

Re: BEWARE! SD data deleted from Galaxy S5 when installing update _SM-G900V_NE9_TO_NI12
cfwegman
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok here is what I see.

brand new 64GB Samsung card is in

power up phone

no messages

go to view storage

no SD card was found, screen says "mound card" only

click mount card

phone says preparing SD card

phone reports SD card is blank or has unsupported filesys

click on the report

phone asks if I want to format card

I select yes

phone says preparing SD card

Phone reports card is blank or has unsupported filesys

power down

pull card

check card in PC

card reads fine

check card properties, 59.5GB free exFAT

place a picture on the card, all normal, jpg copies fine to card.

card back in phone

power up

no card found no message.

storage screen just says "mount card"

mount card

phone reports "SD card is safe to remove"

in storage, select mount card

phone reports SD card is damaged try reformat?

yes

phone reports SD card is blank

phone reports SD card is blank or unsupported file sys.

SD card out of phone back in PC

SD card is fine

it did NOT format

the jpg I added to it is still there.

I have done a cashe clear.  nuttin

I have done a hard reset.  nuttin.

its just as if the phone is no longer able to use an SD card.

moabutman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exact same card. Exact same problem. Thank you for validating my problem.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For those trying to recover data off of the SD Cards, do not format them. Instead, insert the memory card into a computer, and run this program:

TestDisk + PhotoRec

This software is free to use and does work very well on SD Cards. Just be sure to save your files to a folder on your hard drive, before formatting the card for use again. There's no pretty GUI, so take your time. As long as the card is not toast, the data will be retrieved.

0 Likes
cfwegman
Enthusiast - Level 3

(personal comment removed)  nobody has lost any data the update has (removed) the phone so it can't access the card.

>> Edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
cfwegman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any progress toward a solution?  I read others with this issue have been sent new phones.

0 Likes
HangingOut

I have the exact same issue.  Galaxy S5 running with no problems and a 32GB HC Card in the phone.

After the OTA Update around Sept 24, I got all kinds of different messages about "bad card" "need to format" or it was just unable to mount.  I could read it no problem on the PC.

It wont work with a 16GB HC either.  It is working fine with a 4GB HC.  But this is ridiculous that this software update causes the SD Card slot to be unusable / unstable.

I would like to know if and when I solution becomes available.

Bob

0 Likes
cfwegman
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes