Audio static on GSIII after 4.4.2 update
Ursanbear

Since I updated to 4.4.2 this Sunday past, if I try to listen to music or phone at more than three "clicks" up from zero, I get this awful static.  I don't get this issue with my other devices using this same ear piece. (hearing aid interface)  Mind you, for me, anything less than 50% volume is too low for me.

Before the update, I wouldn't get static until at least 80% volume and even then it was an occasional one.  Now it's useless above 20-25%

When I get home I'll try using an external speaker.  Thoughts anyone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Audio static on GSIII after 4.4.2 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to see you enjoying all of your audio with this new update, Ursanbear. How did the external speaker test go? Do you get the same static with no external accessory connected for the audio?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Ursanbear

It's very strange.  it works, but it's almost all bass. No static, but it's like the treble  is all the way down and the bass is all the way up.  the speaker only has an on/off switch and volume.

Now here's the odder part.  When using the phone, it's fine no matter how loud it is.  Only happens with the music player.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is pretty strange, Ursanbear. But that's actually good! If it's working when using the phone, that tells me the hardware itself is still good and that it's something setting/software related. What music player are you using? Does the same thing happen when streaming music and playing music files stored on the phone?

JenniferH_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Ursanbear

Just using "Music" that came along with the GSIII.  No idea what version it is.  Just pointed it to my SD card where the MP3s are stored and been using it since day 1.

One more point to make.  I can't hear in stereo so I just use a mono plug. So both channels are going into 1.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Interesting Ursanbear. Which ear piece are you using? Does this happen if you're listening directly from the phone, no ear piece?

VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ursanbear

The "earpiece" is actually a hearing aid.  I'm using a DAI (direct audio interface) to connect the phone to the hearing aid.

This is the only way I can use the phone.  As I said, it only started doing this after the update.  This same DAI works perfectly with other devices including my iPod.

When I fiddled with the audio settings, it seems to get better if I manipulate the higher frequencies, but when I do that, everything sounds horrible.

I still find it strange that it doesn't do this for the phone or when watching YouTube or anything like that.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate this information Ursanbear. Can you please try placing phone in Safe Mode for 24 hours, still use the DAI, and see if this continues while in Safe Mode?

http://vz.to/15q7qvO

Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
Ursanbear

Still doing it.  Smiley Sad

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh goodness. I'm sorry. One last thing we can try is deleting the DAI from your phone, powering both the phone and DAI off for 30 seconds. Then restart both and try pairing again. Let's see if this helps. Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes