Apps stopping
JMGoodman29

Apps keep crashing, including system apps like gmail, google play newsstand and IMDB.  I open them and click on something and get a message like "Unfortunately, Gmail has stopped."  The app opens OK, it's only when I try to do something (like open an email) that it crashes.  I have restarted and cleaned all app caches.  I have restored the apps to their factory condition, but they still crash. Any ideas?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Apps stopping
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Try doing a system cache clear first and if that fails, uninstall or shut down non working apps, reboot phone and reinstall your apps.

0 Likes
JMGoodman29

Thanks.  Caches cleaned.  Can't uninstall some of the problem apps (gmail, google newstand).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying those steps GalaxyClass, it's a great start to resolve this issue. I'm sure it's annoying to have to see that error message. Let's keep working on it.
What's your software version for the phone? Settings>About Phone>Software & build number.
*Are the Apps up to date? View steps here http://vz.to/1oiDbXo.
*When did this start? 

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
JMGoodman29

4.4.2, build no. KDA20.62-15.1 (Jul 29, 2014).

The apps were up to date.  I removed some of the updates to see if that would solve the problem (it didn't).

It started about a week/10 days ago.  It was intermittent at first -- I could read a couple of emails before gmail crashed, for example -- but now I can't get even one.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you do a system cache clear, or just clear the app caches within app manager?

A system cache clear should get things working better ...

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

0 Likes
JMGoodman29

Thanks, SuzyQ, but a system cache clear didn't help -- apps still crashing.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It may just be one rogue app that's causing the issue.  Unfortunately, if it is, there's really no easy way to find it except to delete or disable apps until it stops, then add apps back until it starts up and you  can determine what app caused the problem.

JMGoodman29

I can give it a try, but what happens if the problem is caused by Android or one of the system apps that I can't delete?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do things crash when you run the phone in safe mode?  What phone model is this? You can try a FDR, if nothing else works.

Is the phone running in LTE/CDMA Network mode? (as opposed to Global)

If you can't delete a system app, you can force stop it or disable it to see if that stops the crashes.

0 Likes