Apps on Android Ally
emme819

I have an Android Ally that I've had for a few years.  Apparently when I bought this phone they linked an email address to the phone for getting updates and apps and such.  It might be a shocker, but I never tried to download an app until just recently.  It prompted me to sign in with an email address I didn't recognize.  Obviously didn't know any password for this email account either. So I was prompted to go to gmail and sign in and say I forgot my password. Except because I have no memory of ever setting this account up, I never used it so gmail closed it for lack of use for 2 years.  I have been told that I can change this email address to a different gmail address but that doing that will set my phone back to all of its factory defaults, which at a minimum will delete all of my contacts.  Not sure what else would happen going back to factory defaults.  Anyone know? Also, I just backed my contacts up on my verizone wireless page, could I somehow transfer them back over to the phone if I change email addresses and go back to factory defaults? I have handwritten down all of my contacts so I could put them all back in by hand if necessary, but does anyone know what else I might lose if I restore to factory defaults?

And last, why the hell doesn't a phone company have a phone number you can call for support? I had a "support" chat about upgrading my phone today and in the course of a 10 minute "chat" I was given 3 completely contradictory pieces of information, including about whether I can keep my current plan if I upgrade my device.  And how much the phone would actually cost me if I upgraded. And what was included in the price of the phone (she mentioned all sorts of free accessories that aren't listed anywhere).

Anyway, anyone have any solutions/answers/advice after reading this long tortured email?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Apps on Android Ally
Not applicable

To download apps you need to have a google account which means a gmail address. Back up your contacts and you won't lose them. Then get you a new gmail account.

0 Likes
Re: Apps on Android Ally
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

When you do a factory reset, the phone goes back to how it was when you first turned it on. (Any updates to the firmware still remain, but I don't think the Ally has had any major updates, so I wouldn't worry about that. Anything on your SD card will be safe, and there is a way to back contacts up to your SD card, but I've never done that and don't remember how. I've heard so many problems with backup assistant in my time here that I would, personally, not recommend it to anyone, but it couldn't hurt to use it as a secondary backup.

Verizon does have a support line (don't remember the 800 number) that you can reach by dialing *611 from your phone, though they usually like you to call from a different phone in case they want you to do any trouble shooting with them.

The deal with the upgrades is: Verizon no longer has unlimited data plans and, if you buy a phone at the two year contract price, you will have to sign a new contract which will force you to change your data plan (you will also have to change your voice/texting plan if yours is no longer available, but that's not a big a deal to most people). If unlimited data is a big deal for you (probably not because you have not downloaded any apps in two years), you will have to pay full price in order to keep it.

Most phones come with the phone, battery, wall charger/USB cord, and sometimes headphones. You can sometimes find package deals that include more stuff, and they usually try to push an accessory package on you when you buy a new phone. These are not necessarily a bad deal if you need the stuff, but it's not usually high end, just basic accessories.

I hope this covered all your questions, and that it all made sense.

0 Likes