Apps And Stuff For Android Jellybean 4.1
JohnnL
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got a new smartphone.  It is a Samsung Stratosphere 2 running Jellybean 4.1.  I have some questions that couldn't be answered at the Verizon store.  I even attended a workshop, but it didn't include anything that couldn't already be answered by reading the manual.  Here are the questions.

1) How do I do a screen shot?  Samsung told me to hold the power and home buttons at the same time.  This does not work.  I have done all of the updates.

2) I want a simple app to do a video call like Facetime for the iPhone.  I feel that the phone should have come with it.  I saw that "Hangouts" came with my phone, but it wants access to a lot of unnecessary stuff.  Any suggestions for something like this that I don't have to set up an account for?

3) I want a simple clock for my home page that I can change the font color to make it more visible and without weather.  Why something so simple could not be included with the phone is beyond me.  I got one widget, but any suggestions for this also?

4) I was told at the workshop that a virus app is not needed.  I have read otherwise that a virus can get into the phone.  Can somebody clear this up for me?

5) What is file size limit for a text message attachment?

6) I realize that is for Android, but I have a two simple iPhone questions if anybody knows the answer.  When a friend of mine sends me a text message from her iPhone to my PC, they always come from VZWPIX.COM and are an attachment.  Is there a way for the text to come from VTEXT.COM.  Also, how come there isn't a tutorial of all the things that you can do with a iPhone like there is for an Android phone?  Or did I miss it?

Labels (1)
Re: Apps And Stuff For Android Jellybean 4.1
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JohnnL,

You've got questions and we've got answers:

1.) You capture screen shots by holding home key and power/lock key simultaneously http://bit.ly/1fXMlyh .

2.) Regarding apps for video calls, check out Skype http://bit.ly/198HPxy .

3.) For clock widget, visit the Google Play store on your phone and search for "clock".

4.) Next, for a virus app, though it's not essential by any means, you may wish to check out VZ Protect in the Google Play Store.

5.) Then, for text message attachment size limits, this varies. Are you having any issues here?

6.) Finally, it may not be coming from vtext due to the messaging app on her phone. May I ask if this presents an issue? Also, tutorials on iPhones are limited but can be located from Apple's website.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JohnnL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response!  I have some questions below after reading your response and I have one additional question.

1)   For the screen shot, I have tried this numerous times even holding both buttons for awhile.  This does not work for me.  I have all of the updates for my Stratosphere 2.  Do you have any other suggestions?

2) Are you saying that my phone can’t get a virus as it comes?  I have read some things where a virus can be attached to an app or text message on a smartphone.

3) For the text message size limit, I have a problem sometimes.  I realize that pictures are resized to be able to send.  If I have something on my phone like a video or MP3 file, sometimes I get a error like the file is too big, but the error does say what the file limit is.  I was trying to find the limit so I would know if I could send the file as a text message attachment or not.

4) This is a new question about VZW Navigator.  When I had a basic phone, I was told that any data charges were built into the one day, week, or monthly charge.  Is this true for the smartphone app also?

5) About getting a text message on my PC from my friend’s iPhone, it is not really an issue.  It is more of a nuisance of having to open an attachment instead of just being able to read the message.  My friend has the standard messaging app that came with the phone.  Is there a way to change the messages to come from vtext.com?

Thanks Again,

John

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the new item number 4. Yes it is true for the VZ Navigator, but it might only be an option for the monthly charge. That being said, I would suggest cancelling the VZ Navigator subscription and use the Google Maps and its Navigation system instead. The best part. It is absolutely free to use. You only have to watch the data usage, which is the case with both applications.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JohnnL,

This is the only way to take a screen shot, both buttons need to be pressed at exactly the same time. Regarding your phone, it is protected by our network as well as softare, but you can definitely look into the option offered earlier.

Text messages have a character limit, it's multimedia messages that have a limit as far a file size. The maximum file size can be of 1,200KB but typical limits range from 300-600 KB if sending to a basic phone. Try adjust your camer's resolution. Have your friend send messages to your phone number directly, not using an email address. This is a helpful link to learn all about your new phone http://vz.to/1g2Y1zW .

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

JohnnL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response!  I have some additional questions below.

1) I think that a screen shot would be a very helpful tool.  It does not work for me.  Maybe one of Verizon's updates disabled it for me.  If I am not the only one that is having a problem with this, maybe Verizon could fix this in a future update?

2) About VZ Navigator, there was a one day, weekly, or monthly option to use it when I had a basic phone.  Is this the same way on a smartphone?  Could someone from Verizon confirm if there are data charges if there is a on day, weekly, or monthly option?  I don't like Google Maps.  I believe that this app wants access to stuff that it shouldn't need to like my contacts and text messages.  Verizon already has access to that, so I prefer Verizon.

3) When I was asking about getting a text message from my friend's iPhone to my PC, my friend would need to enter an email address in order for it to go to my PC.  Is there a way to make the text message come from VTEXT.COM instead of VZWPIX.com?

4) I have one new question.  My friend's iPhone has a preview of text messages before you unlock it, but my Android phone does not.  My Android phone has a notification bar at the top, but it is not very helpful.  Can I set up my Android phone to have these previews on the lock screen or do I need to get a lock screen app?  If I need to get a lock screen app, do you have any suggestions?  I have read a bunch of bad reviews about lock screen apps.

Thanks Again,

John

B33
Legend

John have a look in the Google PlayStore the little shopping bag on your phone look for Notification apps in search or Look for this one here it's by the GO LAUNCHER DEV TEAM it's called Next Notification..

0 Likes