App-ocalypse
EazyCure

So, last night my phone was doing the automatic updating of a couple of the Verizon apps when I suddenly got a cascade of messages stating that various apps had stopped functioning and asking me to force close them.  I powered down the phone and when it came back up all of my apps were missing from the menu, and those that have icons on the desktop give a message stating "Application is not installed on your phone" when I tap the icons.  This includes the Play Store, My Verizon, and Google Maps.  I can go into the settings menu (Settings>>Applications>>Manage Applications) and all of the apps still show up there, but with the filename (e.g. com.lookout) and the blue gear icon rather than the name of the app and the associated icon.  Any ideas on what caused this and whether there is a way to recover other than having to wipe the phone and start from scratch?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: App-ocalypse
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

What phone do you have?  And what apps, specifically were updating? 

0 Likes
EazyCure

I thought that I had said that it was a Motorola Droid 3, but I see that did not.  There were, I think, 4 apps updating.  Two were preinstalled stuff that I never use (I think NFL mobile and something else) there was also Red Laser barcode scanner and I think the Furby app.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure if this is related:    since you have a Motorola and the other thread is about the LG Intuition - is there a chance it was an OS upgrade and this IS related?  I wish I could offer more help -

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sometimes a large update or manual update will break the app icon on the homescreen.

Try clearing the data for the Play Store and then go to the app drawer to open the app from there.  Don't use the icon from the homescreens.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

SuzyQ wrote:

I'm not sure if this is related: LG Intuition upgrade today...app issues, failure notifications constantly, Google Play broken, missi...   since you have a Motorola and the other thread is about the LG Intuition - is there a chance it was an OS upgrade and this IS related?  I wish I could offer more help -

I don't believe there are any system updates available for the Droid 3 right now.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
EazyCure

Thanks for the info, though, based on what I am seeing there it would appear that my phone has been reduced to the same level of technology that I had 10 years ago.  Fantastic.

0 Likes
EazyCure

Like I said, all of the apps are missing from the menu (app drawer).  It's not a matter of the shortcut/pointer being misdirected.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's why I suggested clearing the data for the Play Store.  It might force the phone to reset the data allowing you to see it.  Then you can see if you can re-download the other apps.  If need be uninstall the updates too.

Your could also uninstall the other troubled apps through the settings > applications > manage apps area.

0 Likes