Anyone else having a problem with the proximity sensor
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

I am having a problem with the proximity sensor in my Droid.  Sometimes while on a call, when I pull the phone away from my face to press numbers on the dialpad, the screen is off.  I have tried pressing the four "buttons" at the bottom of the screen, I ve tried pressing the lock/power button on top.  Nothing returns my display.  I have to pull the battery out of the phone and put it back in.  I have tried adjusting my screen timeout to never, thinking this may be an issue, however that did not fix the problem.  This is very frustrating as I was on the phone with Dell about my computer and was transferred to a different department and needed to press 3 for the department I needed, however my Droid would not give me the display back and I lost my call.  I had to call Dell back and start all over again from the beginning.  This also happened when I tried to call my company's automated line for entering our total work time to get paid for last week.  I couldn't enter my hours in because my Droid would not give me a display.  I had to wait until I got home and call from my landline.  For what its worth, I do not have any screen protectors or case on my Droid that may be blocking the proximity sensor.  I am also not blocking the sensor with my finger as I have even sat the phone down on a table and it still would not return to me to my display.  Anybody else having this problem, is there something that I can do to correct this?  Thanks in advance for any help! :smileysad:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyone else having a problem with the proximity sensor
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

I could not take it anymore, I exchanged my Droid this morning for another one.  The new Droid does not lock up on me like the original one did.  The proximity sensor still turns the display off when I put the phone to my face, as it should.  When I pull the phone away from my face, the screen is still off, however by pressing the lock/power button, the display comes back on.  On my first Droid this was not the case, the lock/power button does nothing.  Must be a bad sensor.  Personally in my opinion you should not have to press anything when you pull the phone away from your face.  What it appears happens is that the screen timeout kicks in while on  call.  I would've thought that the screen timeout would not activate while in a call since the device has a proximity sensor.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
summerfish

Wow. seems like we're not the only ones. My boyfriend and I both have had the same issues now. His is more often than me because he makes more calls, but yes this issue needs to be addressed.

0 Likes
SaiyanPrinc3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes it happened to me too. Only once so far. But i dont make much calls. Mostly texts

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

I could not take it anymore, I exchanged my Droid this morning for another one.  The new Droid does not lock up on me like the original one did.  The proximity sensor still turns the display off when I put the phone to my face, as it should.  When I pull the phone away from my face, the screen is still off, however by pressing the lock/power button, the display comes back on.  On my first Droid this was not the case, the lock/power button does nothing.  Must be a bad sensor.  Personally in my opinion you should not have to press anything when you pull the phone away from your face.  What it appears happens is that the screen timeout kicks in while on  call.  I would've thought that the screen timeout would not activate while in a call since the device has a proximity sensor.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah it depends on the length of the call.  If I am making a quick call I can just pull it away and push buttons although if I was calling a contact I have to push the keypad button to hit number keys.

0 Likes
terrywil

I have had to take the battery out about every third or fourth call in order to get the screen back.  Hopefully, Motorola will issue some kind of software fix in the near future.

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

The 2.0.1 update addressed this issue.

0 Likes
mark99

WRONG. The new update does not solve problem. Just updated and the prox sensor is WORSE! Very disappointed. Returning the phone on Monday.

0 Likes