Any other users have terrible battery life since the 4.4.2 update?
gbweller2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Aside from the other slight annoyances from the "upgrade"?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any other users have terrible battery life since the 4.4.2 update?
droidrazrmaxxhd
Contributor - Level 1

KitKat giving you battery drain problems? Try uninstalling Skype, says Google as it prepares a fix

Summary: Google is preparing a fix for a battery depleting bug in the camera software on Android 4.4.2 devices, and in the mean time one way to stop the issue is to uninstall Skype.

If you've noticed that your smartphone has been suffering battery woes since upgrading to KitKat, you're not alone.

A bug in a background program that controls KitKat devices' cameras, known as 'mm-qcamera-daemon', looks to be behind a spate of Android 4.4.2-powered hardware rapidly losing power or overheating.

Over the past week, hundreds of Nexus 5 and other Android device owners have reported on the Android Open Source Project's Issue Tracker that the software recently started consuming as much as half of a device's battery, and in some cases also causing overheating.

Google has, in the past 48 hours, confirmed that it had identified the relevant bugs behind the problem and will issue a fix for them in a maintenance update for its own Nexus line of devices. However, it hasn't said when that will be released, and also advised owners of non-Nexus Android devices affected by the bug to contact their hardware manufacturer for a fix.

"High power drain on non-Nexus devices is not something we can help with. If you have a Note, or any other non-Nexus device, you'll have to reach out to your manufacturer," a Google AOSP project member wrote.

Some Samsung Galaxy Note 3 owners running Android 4.3 also complained of similar battery draining issues caused by the daemon. 

http://www.zdnet.com/kitkat-giving-you-battery-drain-problems-try-uninstalling-skype-says-google-as-...

View solution in original post

Ohiomade
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes!  I have the Note 3 and battery life is now 3 hours. 

0 Likes
gbweller2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm glad it's not just me. From about 7:30 AM to noon I was at 63%. Prior to the update I would have still been in the mid 80's with heavy use. I may have to root the damn thing to get a decent ROM now. I hate the though of having to do that though. But since this device will probably never get Lollypop it probably won't matter.

0 Likes
Ohiomade
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am running in Safe Mode for the last 30 minutes, and my battery is stable, so I am thinking to do a factory reset...

0 Likes
nurbles

Seems the same to me.  My phone (Droid Razr Maxx HD) sat idle, with WiFi off, for the past 16 hours and when I woke it up it was down to 64%.  When I set it down last night, it was at 100% after just coming off the charger, which was connected during the entire upgrade to 4.4.2 and for an hour or so after while I played with it (I miss bluetooth!).  If I turn WiFi on and don't touch it, power goes down about 10% per hour.  I always thought that sucked for a supposedly long life phone, but Verizon told me it was typical when I complained.

0 Likes
gbweller2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll edit my original post to mention that this issue is on the Galaxy Note 3.

0 Likes
gbweller2
Enthusiast - Level 2

No I won't. No edit button.

Anyway, I'll do the factory reset before I do anything drastic. But I am disappointed that I'd even have to do THAT after an update. This is my first Android update experience with a Samsung smartphone.

And @nurbles, I'm not surprised to hear that you haven't had any issues. I never had any update disappointments with Moto either. They have a GREAT development team over there! (which has hopefully stayed intact during the hand-off from Moto to Google to Lenovo) They just didn't offer anything in the phablet class or I never would have tried another product.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is a five minutes window for editing posts.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
gbweller2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good to know, thank you Ann154!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

It makes move rather quickly brushing up mistakes made or prof read before you post..

0 Likes