Any other nexus 5x users having trouble with apps misbehaving?
maryowill

I'd think it was the phone, except that both me and the DH have the same phone, but way different issues.  In the last week, my phone has decided to reject Glympse messages sent to me.  I can send a Glympse, using the app, but don't receive any.  The DH, on the other hand, has no problem with Glympse, but has a weird text message pop into Hangouts (it's what we use for messaging) every time he gets a voice mail. That's right, in addition to the regular voicemail indicator, he *also* gets a text message filled with gobbledegook that looks like it carries an abbreviation that looks like it's for Verizon Visual Voicemail, a product we never had, even when we were on the More plan. O, btw, did I mention that we just switched to the PLAN at the beginning of this month, just before getting the new phones?

Have rebooted, deleted, reinstalled re-rebooted; have reached out to the Glympse developer, waiting for a response; read many help files re Hangouts, an app I've been using for years with no problems (still not having any, he is)...any suggestions, insights?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any other nexus 5x users having trouble with apps misbehaving?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A co-worker of mine recently used Verizon's Device Certification portal to check their IMEI of a Nexus 5X and 6P against Verizon this past Friday. Instead of throwing a big red warning saying it wouldn't work, it allowed them to input a SIM Card number and show plan options.

Just some food for thought. You could try doing the same too (sign out of the MyVerizon account if you're logged in): https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/nso/enterDeviceId.do?&zipRdr=y

It's possible Verizon is in the stages of getting these devices to appear correctly. Someone will certainly sound off once official confirmation is out there. I plan to be purchasing a Nexus 5X soon for a family member, who will require getting a new SIM Card at a store.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Maryowill,

We want the applications you depend on most to be problem free at all times. It saddens me to hear to that we have missed the goal on both devices. Lets get both devices back up and working properly. Thanks for your hard work thus far, I have sent you direct message to continue troubleshooting. Please respond to the direct message.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I noticed just recently that Verizon may have certified the Nexus 5x for activation. Does your account actually show a Nexus 5x attached or does it show something else? Verizon might have the wrong feature set applied to your phone, which could happen if they don't have your IMEI recognized, and a phone previously verified for use with Visual Voicemail was in use.

0 Likes
pa32dude

smith6612,

Where did you get the information that the Nexus 5x is white-listed? I am thinking of getting one, but the thought of having to hassle with Verizon reps until I find one willing to help isn't too appealing. Knowing that the phone is officially "blessed" would help. Thanks...

0 Likes
maryowill

I don't know that it's white-listed, but I know that it isn't

black-listed, either. The phone needs a nano Sim card, so if your current

phone has one already, no problem.

0 Likes
maryowill

Thanx for the info, I'll definetely look into that. Up until a few days

ago my account page showed a generic, unnamed device for our 2 phones.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A co-worker of mine recently used Verizon's Device Certification portal to check their IMEI of a Nexus 5X and 6P against Verizon this past Friday. Instead of throwing a big red warning saying it wouldn't work, it allowed them to input a SIM Card number and show plan options.

Just some food for thought. You could try doing the same too (sign out of the MyVerizon account if you're logged in): https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/nso/enterDeviceId.do?&zipRdr=y

It's possible Verizon is in the stages of getting these devices to appear correctly. Someone will certainly sound off once official confirmation is out there. I plan to be purchasing a Nexus 5X soon for a family member, who will require getting a new SIM Card at a store.

0 Likes
pa32dude

Thanks. I don't have the Nexus yet so I don't have an IMEI to enter. But this sounds encouraging.

My current phone uses a micro-SIM, so I borrowed a nano-to-micro adapter and went to the Verizon store to get a nano SIM for it, thinking that I could be ready when the Nexus arrives. But the person I talked to said she couldn't activate a nano SIM in my existing phone because their system "knows" it takes a micro. Not sure if this is BS or not, but that was the end of it as far as she was concerned.

I may end up just cutting my existing micro sim, the co-worker I borrowed the adapter from also has a cutter. Saves me another trip to the Verizon store, where I always end up feeling like that's a chunk of my life I'll never get back...

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google will give you the IMEI when you order online, so you can check for activation while waiting for the device to show up in the mail. If Verizon says it isn't compatible, cut your SIM and you should be good to go. Make sure your SIM Card is a VoLTE capable SIM to get the most out of the Nexus (these typically start in 8914800000...), 5 zeroes being the designator.

0 Likes
maryowill

So I checked, per your suggestion, and both devices now show up as

compatible with Verizon, which is a step forward. However, I backed off

when it came to the next step, which was entering the SIM card

number...because I can't make it out! The numbers on the nano SIM are

really, really tiny. And the step after that was "choosing a plan " which

is great, if you don't already have service, like I do. Guess I'll hit up

the Chat online when I've got plenty of time to sort through things, to get

the phones "associated" with the account, which is another kind of joke ,

since we've been using phones for past month and have already paid a

bill! Still getting weird text message on the one phone when voice mail is

left, but get the bill just fine. Hooray, corporate America.

0 Likes