Re: Any News on Eris Update?
albion01

To be completely honest I'd rather have a working OS in a month then a buggy pile of crap today.  When multiple corporations are involved in any type of business practices there are contracts involved.  Verizon is probably contracted by both Google and HTC to keep their mouths shut until everything is ready to go.  There's a reason for this, they don't want to fall into Duke Nukem 2 hell.  If you announce a product then fail to produce when indicated you anger your users more then if you say nothing at all.

I can handle problems with my phone.  If I lose my apps I can reinstall or whatever it takes, no stress.  My wife on the other hand who, unlike me, recieved an update notification on her Eris, is not.  I guarantee if she loses all of her apps, she's going to freak out.  Luckly for her, she's married to me and I can fix the problem.  But what about those who don't have an in house IT guy to turn to? 

What's scaring me is all the misinformation floating around.  Is there really a mistaken 2.1 update being pushed down to some Eris users or is it real deal.   I'm sure I'd be able to fix the problems that may occur, but I really don't want to have to waste my time unless necessary.  There are, after all, some very reliable sources on the net saying it is.  Although I consider Verizon the best so far of the meriad of carriers I have used, I personally wish Verizon would acknowledge or deny the rumors going around that Eris users are currently recieving a 2.1 update, mistakenly or not.  Until that time I'm not updating anything.

-Craig

0 Likes
Dominique

Craig,

Your wife recieved an update notification for 2.1?

0 Likes
anchor328

Dominique,

You took the words right out of my mouth. So let me restate it again.

Craig,

Your wife got a notification for 2.1?

0 Likes
albion01

All she told me was that it was an "Update Notification", nothing else.  We just got these phones last week so I am not completely familiar with them yet.  I don't know if it makes clear what update is coming down or not, so I can't assume what the notification is except what she told me this morning before work.  I will check tonight what the notification is and get back to you all when I know more.  But, what I am trying to get at is that all the misinformation going around is going to keep me from installing ANY update for fear that I am going lose settings and apps.  That would undoubtedly lead to my quartering outside in the dog's house, if you know what I mean.

-Craig

0 Likes
SoCal64
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a feeling she is seeing update notification for an application and not the phone itself.  It would be awesome if I as wrong and the 2.1 might be getting pushed out.  We look forward to your answer as to what the update is in regards to.

0 Likes
Frisco

A bit before the Droid update started showing up in phones, there was an officilal announcement from Verizon.

Any update notifications we see before an announcement will 99% likely be for an application. 

0 Likes
mvp_303

i don't get it, sprint is said to be pushing out 2.1 for the hero on april 9th and that phone is basically the same as the droid eris so i don't know why we wouldn't get it around the same time

0 Likes
albion01

@SoCal64:  You're right, it was an application update notification.  I asked her to see the notification and she told me she cleared it out.  *rolls eyes*  But then she said it was only an app update.  Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.

So I am assuming that the rumors of some HTC Eris users already getting the 2.1 update are false?

0 Likes
Dominique

I haven't heard any rumors of anyone getting a 2.1 OTA since Feb I think.  But I know a lot of folks have already installed a leaked version.  Maybe that's what's been spread.

0 Likes
albion01

@Dominique:  http://phandroid.com/2010/03/30/droid-2-1-ota-update-has-begun/

Note:  opps, looks like that may be a Motorola Droid, not an Eris.  I was confused because of the mention of the HTC Eris taking the picture.

0 Likes