Any News on Eris Update?
SoCal64
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just curious if any other Eris owners have heard information as to when the 2.1 update will be pushed out for us. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Any News on Eris Update?
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1

asked a VZW store rep yesterday as to when the 2.0 is going to be updated on the Eris. he said it's going straight to the 2.1 and will definitely be coming in April.  will see.

0 Likes
The_Aussie

i hate taking a "glass is half empty" stance...

but it was coming in Jan...

then...

coming in Q1

NOW...coming in april....

we will see....when i am doing the update i will believe it is coming...though i hope it is sooner rather than April....

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

OH MY GOD!!

That is all...

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

In all fairness (using that term lightly), the Jan. update was supposed to be a 1.5 maintenance patch, that's all. They canned that effort and focused on releasing 2.0 (speculated for mid-February), then abandoned that because 2.1 was released hence the most recent "Eris 2.1 by end of 1st QTR speculation". The quick version releases from Google, however great that is, is the main cause of the "no recent updates" as HTC wants to get us all updated to the latest without having to push another HUGE update shortly after...

I'm upset that we're obviously not getting 2.1 officially this week, but I've done the 2.1 leaked version anyhow. I am hoping that the released 2.1 is a higher version then my leaked install as to have the "real" version installed. The leaked is OK for the most part, but having the real version would make me feel better when I eBay my Eris for the Incredible this summer (=

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

Kenyu...LOL!! I was just thinking to myself, how do I subsidize the Incredible!!

0 Likes
The_Aussie

The January Update i was referring to was the promise from both the sales person and the store manager at the Verizon store that Heavily influenced why i purchased the ERIS....

Don't get me wrong i like the phone, but i brought the phone in December on the premise of the 2.0, 2.01 update was happening in the early weeks of January. I need certain functionality for my job that was at the time contained in 2.0 on the moto droid, but i didnt like the bulk of that phone.

0 Likes
JWS1956

I spent most of all day yesterday on the phone and waiting for return phone calls from Verizon.  I will have to admit that they did answer all of my questions. 

The 2.1 is out for the Moto Droid.  It is being put out in 25,000 groups.  From what I understand.  He might have said 250,000, I am not sure.  I would assume the older customers are going to be upgraded first. 

Now for the bad news.  Us Eris users.  HTC told this rep that the 2.1 would be available no later than the end of April.  It should be sooner, but they couldn't promise that.  How it will be sent out, they are not sure yet.  They are sure it will be sent out in "blocks" but nothing on how many at a time yet. 

For those waiting for the Incredible.  HTC is still testing it.  They have till June to finish the testing and promote the phone.  Verizon has not accepted the phone yet and not sure they even will take it.  Depends on the results of the testing. 

They have no plans even if they do accept it to offer it as an upgrade as of now.  So... the Eris users are the ones that get the shaft this time if Verizon does pick up the Incredible.

0 Likes
glocker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google released Android 2.1 in Jan.  It took 3 months to update Android 2.01 to 2.1 a 14.9mb update.  Android 1.6 to 2.1 means a new operating system.  Good luck, and remember there are also rumors of new Android phones coming soon.

0 Likes
ecurba

Yesterday I spoke with a person at Verizon in the executive relations department, after I had sent an email to the president of Verizon on this subject. He did say that the eris was going to get the 2.1 os, but would not comment to a time. I asked if it was going to be in the second quarter and he would not comment. 

0 Likes