Android and Outlook integration
turreypond

I'm currently using a Blackberry, and really appreciate the tight integration with Outlook (Calendar, Contacts, and Notes).  Is there similar (seamless) integration between Android and Outlook?  If not, does this require 3rd part applications, and how bullet-proof are they and what are your experiences with this issue?  Thanks very much in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Android and Outlook integration
Calhoun

Welcome to my world. I use Outlook heavily to manage my life and was quite disappointed at the lack of integration. However, it makes sense, Google has its own products/services. I look around on a weekly basis (as well as check the market) and haven't found a rock solid solution yet. I hope someone addresses the issue soon. I'd pay big money for a useable app.

0 Likes
DASYLady

I set up Google Calendar and Google Calendar Synch to enable me to keep Outlook on my work and personal computers synchronized.

As a result, I've got the most current information on my Google Calendar.

Here's a link to the Google Calendar Sync page

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/topic.py?topic=15305

Hope this helps!

-cj

0 Likes
turreypond

DASYLady, thanks for your reply, but are you suggesting that you first sync Outlook with Google Calendar, and then sync your android device to Google Calendar?  If so, is there also a way to synch my "Contact" list in Outlook to a similar Google application...and then synch with the android device?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Calhoun

turreypond,

That seems to be the only viable option right now. I've seen folks talk of a desktop application called CompanionLink, but from what I can tell, it just automates the process that DASYLady explained. The issues (for me) I've found with going through Google are that:

A. Your information is stored on Google. Even if you 'delete' it from Google, they still retain the information.

B. Syncing this way doesn't carry over any recurring appointments or some of the extra data you might have associated (such as contact notes, categories, etc.)

C. A lot of the paid solutions can be done for free by exporting your outlook data as a text file, copying it over, and then importing it. Which, works good for contacts (except the extra data I mentioned before) but doesn't address the calendar issues.

0 Likes
turreypond

Calhoun, thanks very much for your responses.  Actually, I'm pretty confident that either Android or a 3rd party company will eventually provde a "seamless"  integration to Outlook.  Google should do it if only to increase Android's acceptance in the business community, which relies heavily on Outlook (and is reluctant to store critical/private info in the Google "cloud").  This will enable Google to expand its potential audience.  In the meantime, as much as I'm interested in Android, I guess my REAL priority is calendar and contact management, and will put-off an Android phone until it broadens its feature-set beyond "entertainment".

0 Likes
PrelCheeta

There is an application called Touchdown that is available on the Market.  The application provides an alternative to the Droid's native mail client for exchange.  the Touchdown application was able to resolve the various issues with syncing to the exchange server, for example the ability to use the active directory from with the mail application.

PrelCheeta

0 Likes
turreypond

Hi PrelCheeta, thanks for the input.  Any chance you might have the name of the publisher or a link to the software publisher's site?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
SnoDrtRider

The nice thing about syncing through Google is if you are in the field and make a new entry/appointment it goes directly to your desktop/laptop. I realize corporate people have exchange server for this but for a small business owner like myself it's a nice feature.

0 Likes
cwb

I was a heavy outlook user. I was planning on getting the eris for abot 3 months before I actually got it, so I worked on transferring over to google webmail and calendar.

Now, I like it more, as I can check/add/correct from anywhere and it is so seemless with my phone.

It was a hard switch, but I did it.

In fact the boink my eris makes when I get my new mail has replaced my desktop notification, lol.

0 Likes