Android System on KitKat taking too much battery usage
Askeptic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Was a fix ever discovered for VZW phones to resolve the issue where the Android System drains the battery life down very quickly when on KitKat? I've looked all over and only see people complaining of the issue with no results. My husband recently switched carriers because of this and no longer has the issue, so I am guessing its a VZW issue, hence why I am posting in these forums. I won't mention who the other carrier is out of respect to VZW. I just want my phone fixed. Thanks!

Labels (1)
Re: Android System on KitKat taking too much battery usage
firesafetybear
Contributor - Level 3

What phone do you have? You can try wiping the cache. This seemed to fix my problem when I had it. It is also good to wipe the cache every few weeks to ensure that your phone doesn't get clogged up. Just like a computer.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Can you post a screen shot of your battery usage?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The problem is generally Google services and Google maps. It isn't carrier specific and it affects people at random. In most cases just opening maps once and letting it lock on fixes the problem or uninstalling Google services updates and letting it reupdate.

0 Likes
Askeptic
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using a Galaxy S3. Google Services is using about 16%, which is a lot, but no more than it was using prior to KitKat. I looked online at this a while back and it was not recommended to remove it.

I have tried clearing my cache many times and have seen no change in its behavior. I have also tried charging it to 100% while in safe mode, then rebooting.

When I say that the Android System is using a lot of battery life, I should be been more clear.. It sits at 30% and sometimes gets all the way up to 38%.

I have not tried wiping my device however I have seen posts by others claim they have tried without desirable results. This is not something I really want to attempt quite yet.

As always, thank you for any suggestions you can lend me. I will see what I can do for getting a screen shot of my battery usage posted up.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Doing a cache wipe on this will not help. You need to do two things.

1) open maps and let if fix on your location

2) look at the version of Google Play Service you have on your phone and get one that is at least version 6.1.11 (1474901-070) or greater.