Andriod GPS discharges battery while charging
mobrien2

I recently purchased the Andriod phone with the VZ car charger and GPS dock for Google maps.  While in the cradle with GPS active, the battery begins discharging within 15 mins or so of use.  I have tried unplugging, resetting, etc. with no luck.  The only fix I have found is to turn the GPS off and wait a while.  I tried using the GPS in my house docked with the wall charger and don't seem to have the discharge issue.  I spoke with VZ custome service and they are sending me a new dock under warrenty.  Someting leads me to believe the dock is not the issue, as it is simply a plastic mount.  My phone has been upgraded to 2.1 OS.  Does anyone know of a solution?  This issue makes the navigation dock useless, as by time I arrive at my destination the battery is dead.  Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Andriod GPS discharges battery while charging
Not applicable

The Droid overheats in the sunlight and stops charging.  You can remove it from the dock and put it in the shade, but that's not much of a solution.

0 Likes
mobrien2

That's what I assumed.  I don't think a replacement cradle is going to do much, but I was willing to start from step one.  What puzzles me is that none of the developers ever tested this.  I understand if the unit be being used in a very hot climate, but an 80 degree day should not set it off (one would think).  Maybe a cradle redesign is in the works, because this one needs to go back to the drawing board.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The internal battery temp gets way over 100 degrees in the direct sunlight.  You could try making a sunscreen of some sort.

0 Likes
sranger

Jim is right, the droid gets too hot in the sun to charge.  I used the mounting disk to put the car holder on my dash instead of the windshield.  This helped a lot as it gets some shade ( depending on the sun angle ) from the roof and some cooling from the air vents....  In my car I an direct some of the cool air to the defrost vents....  This works well...

P.S. It is a good thing that temp check was built in.  **bleep** Ion batteries will explode into a fire ball if over heated too much during charging... 

0 Likes