Ally SD cards
rocky281

I just got my Ally and would like to transfer my pics from my old 2GB SD card over to my new Ally 4GB SD card. How is that done, would like to keep the 4GB card in new phone just not swap the 2GB with it and get my pics that way???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Ally SD cards
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

rocky281 wrote:

I just got my Ally and would like to transfer my pics from my old 2GB SD card over to my new Ally 4GB SD card. How is that done, would like to keep the 4GB card in new phone just not swap the 2GB with it and get my pics that way???

I would mount phone to your computer and see the current SD card as a disk drive. Then copy the entire contents to a folder on the computer or if you can plug the new card in a card reader, copy the contents directly to the new card. Once completed unplug the phone from the computer, turn it off and swap the cards. If you had copied to the computer, swap the cards in the phone, remount and copy the contents to new card. I know I explain every single steps but I hope this helps.

Never mind the above.  I read it all wrong. 

If you can, plug your old card into your computer to see all your files.  Also plug the Ally with the card installed into the computer and mount the SD card as a disk drive.  Then you can create a folder in the root of the Ally SD card called "Pictures" (or whatever you want).  Then copy the pictures from the old SD card to the folder you just created.  Once completed unmount the phone from the computer and turn off the phone.  Reboot the phone and you should be able to see the "Pictures" folder as an album in the photo browser/gallery.  Hope this helps.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
lalea1860

I do not understand why I need tyo go thru all of these changes to mesh my SD card with my ally.  HOLY COW!

Most phones, you just put it on memory card and access the contents!

Why is it so hard to access your memory card from an ally?  It gives you no options whatsoever?  I merely want to view my pictures on my memory card from my phone and I can not even do that?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@lalea1860
In order to view the complete contents of the SD card installed in the Ally phone, you need to download a file explorer app from the Market. Estrongs or Astro are highly recommended.

Some android phones have a built in file explorer, however I don't believe the LG Ally was one of them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
To add to that. You can view your pictures through either a photos or gallery application that was preloaded onto your phone. Not sure which is actually loaded though, I don't have an Ally to check that against.

0 Likes