Ally & Email (again!)
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yesterday morning, my email stopped working.  At first it was my exchange email (which just disappeared), and then my POP3 email kept doing a "force close" routine.  I called the tech support people at Verizon, and then directed me to do a factory reset - not a problem, I've done it before.  Long story short, my email is now functioning, BUT I get no notifications from either email, and it does not check for email unless I go into each one and "refresh."  The notification settings are on just like I used to have them, and it should be working, but it just doesn't.  Any advice? 

"if you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning....."

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Ally & Email (again!)
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

Harley_Chick wrote:

Yesterday morning, my email stopped working.  At first it was my exchange email (which just disappeared), and then my POP3 email kept doing a "force close" routine.  I called the tech support people at Verizon, and then directed me to do a factory reset - not a problem, I've done it before.  Long story short, my email is now functioning, BUT I get no notifications from either email, and it does not check for email unless I go into each one and "refresh."  The notification settings are on just like I used to have them, and it should be working, but it just doesn't.  Any advice? 

Right now there are issues with the Calendar/Email Sync process. I have tried the following to resolve the issues I'm seeing.

*  Try temporarily disabling the Calendar Sync, if you have it enabled.  This should stop the Email app from closing.

*  If disabling the Calendar app doesn't help with the Email closing, try deleting the Email account and recreating it, if you haven't done so already.

* For the Notifcation sounds that aren't working, do you have any Sound Apps installed?  If so, try uninstalling them temporarily to see if it helps.

We are waiting on Android 2.2 update to help, and there should be an LG update as well in the not to distant future.

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm still having trouble with my email (and now twitter) updating and sending notifications.  It appears that they will only update if I physically go in and hit the refresh key.  I just don't understand; it was working perfectly fine and then, without warning, it just stopped.  Oh, and I have done a factory reset twice in the last 24 hours. 

0 Likes
kandi_b

I have been having the same problem with my Ally...it worked fine at first.  It sent the notifications when I received a new email through Google and then one day it just stopped.  I have to go in and refresh it.  If I dont do that I will never know that I have a new email.  That is one of the reasons I got this phone in the first place.  I understand that I have to refresh if I use one of my other accounts like Yahoo, but this phone is Google based!!!!!  What is the problem?  I have called about it and nobody seems to know anything.  Can somebody please help me?

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine finally seems to be working again, but I have had to do SEVERAL (about 5) factory resets.  I am now back to receiving all of my "normal" notifications.  It is frustrating beyond belief - mainly because I am a BIG Ally supporter - but it is back to working properly now. 

0 Likes
LG_Pro
Contributor - Level 2

Harley_Chick wrote:

Mine finally seems to be working again, but I have had to do SEVERAL (about 5) factory resets.  I am now back to receiving all of my "normal" notifications.  It is frustrating beyond belief - mainly because I am a BIG Ally supporter - but it is back to working properly now. 

I'm glad it's working now...  I think this is an issue with Android 2.1 and the Ally.  We are working on an update that hopfully will resolve this issue.

Can you just monitor your available memory, IF your Notification Tones stop working again, and let me know if you are in a low memory situation...  I'm just guessing, but I'm wondering if it has to do with a lack of available memory...  Somewhere in the 20-30 MB Range.

Thanks for your patience.

0 Likes
Viking9

I too am having the same issues.  Both my exchange email and MSN email worked great for about three months and then one day...poof...force closures and then the email account was gone!  In checking other forums, this appears to be a software issue plaguing all android phones.  I too have gone through multiple factor resets...per Verizon technicians but I think this is the canned fix for most problems they don't understand.  It workes great for about a week and then the problem comes back.   Very annoying and if 2.2 is ever available for the Ally...hopefully this will fix the problem but I'm not getting my hopes up.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Have you guys tried and check to see if you have background data on?  Try turning it off then back on then power cycle your phones.

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Viking9 wrote:

I too am having the same issues.  Both my exchange email and MSN email worked great for about three months and then one day...poof...force closures and then the email account was gone!  In checking other forums, this appears to be a software issue plaguing all android phones.  I too have gone through multiple factor resets...per Verizon technicians but I think this is the canned fix for most problems they don't understand.  It workes great for about a week and then the problem comes back.   Very annoying and if 2.2 is ever available for the Ally...hopefully this will fix the problem but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I couldn't agree more.  I can't tell you the number of factory resets I've had to do.  I really love my phone, but the frustration level with the "little" things sometimes just makes me want to scream.  I've even considered just chucking the phone and getting another higher-level Android phone, but from what I hear, these problems are across the board.  I've also considered doing something that I know Verizon frowns upon (which I cannot mention here), but I'm not sure that it would help at all.

"if you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning...."

0 Likes
Viking9

Yes I have and no help.  This was also mentioned by one Verizon Technician.  Sometimes you get one that actually sounds like they know what they're talking about.  I have more than enough available memory (64MB free, SD card has 96MB Free), and no background applications running.  I've removed almost all apps since I can download and use them on demand so I'm running on bare bones.

0 Likes